Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List and BOM Improvements

Parts List and BOM Improvements

There are multiple problems with the parts list and BOM, they are listed below and corresponding screen shots attached.

Issue 1: Rearranging items in a bom is a hassle, if a part needs to be moved from 2nd in line to 6th, the balloon does not update, you have to manually renumber. What would be nice is the bom linked to the tree, in the cases of multiple instances the first one the bom comes to, gives it a balloon.  As you move that item up or down the tree the balloon changes.  In a lot of cases a final BOM reflects the order I build the assembly, bigger parts first then to smaller parts and hardware.  90% of the bom could already be organized without even touching it.  In the cases where it does work out, when turning on the structured bom, although the balloons are right, they are still out of order, requiring a re-sequence.  If people don't care about the tree order, allow the BOM be the driving factor.  Have a check box that tells it to ignore the tree order.

Issue 2: The parts list does not reflect the bom, the item I just moved in the parts list from 2 to 6 is still the second item in line.  This means I am moving the item twice.

Issue 3: If a part is added and becomes item 7, if it is deleted (mistakenly placed), the correct part will come in as item 8, then you have to go back into the BOM and renumber. 

These three issues are huge the bigger the assembly. 

10 Comments
DVDM
Advocate

1. Move items around in the Parts list where you want them.

2. Renumber the items in your Parts list, which show up as blue-outlined value overrides.

3. Save item overrides to BOM to make the two the same.

No need to do it twice, once in the parts list and once in the BOM.

holzmand16
Contributor
You are correct you can do that and I have. But the amount of clicking
is the same as overriding the numbers in the BOM and doing a sort in the
parts list. Not a big deal if you are only talking 6 parts, but if you
are talking 80-120 you can spend a half hour messing with the bills.
The logic I mentioned I can do the same BOM/parts list in 5 minutes.
The key to what I posted is the tying to the tree. What gets me is what
shows up on issue 3 on the post, if you have deleted a component, maybe
it would have been item 7, the next one will come in as item 8, even
though it should be item 7. Now you have to touch the boms, when you
shouldn't have to.

Doug

*************** Email Confidentiality Disclaimer ***************
Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible
for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone or use it in any way. In such case you
should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
DVDM
Advocate

This behaviour is because a BOM and Parts list are not necessarily always the same. An assembly could have different parts lists on different drawings, with different item numbers and sort orders. 

If you want it to be the same, that's when you use the Save overrides to bom functionality. 

Btw you do know you can renumber all item numbers in the parts list in one go to a continuous sequence with the click of one button, whether it's 10 or 10000 doesn't matter, and this can be pushed to the BOM in 2 more clicks.

holzmand16
Contributor

It’s not two more clicks when you are working on a project that is getting changed, items are removed new items inserted.  When something like that happens, you may have 50 components when you go to add 51 it comes in as 70.  That means renumbering again.  What gets missed is the one or two extra clicks that end up having to be done multiple times, it adds up.  As mentioned in Issue 1, it would be nice if the bom linked to the tree.  As I build an assembly, I keep it organized as I build it, helps for others to trouble shoot.  If the BOM/Parts List updated based on the order in the tree I don’t even have to touch the BOM.  What I described has been done in solidworks ten years ago, I know it works, and you still had the option to overwrite the drawing parts list by removing unneeded cells, I never have had to do that, but we don’t have multiple drawings point to one assembly. I have users here that have never used anything other than inventor and the Parts List/BOM irritates them, because how it functions doesn’t seem natural.

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i think that we could have some improvment...

these 3 issues may be somewhat dependant apon workflow, & personally i don't really have any problems along those lines but i may have learned to do things in a specific way, and ifind it quite functional...

but

i do however see how this could be painful if you were doing changes and expecting live updates or sequences to occur without manual sorting or various other related updates.

perhaps then the developers could consider to look into the functionality of this while they are looking at some other BOM improvement requests that are still under review or present development.

for this post, if it gets some momentum, i would perhaps like to see the user presented with the option (check box in tools / application options) to get "Live Number Sequencing" rather then changing what we currently have specificlaly for these 3 issues. that way, those who prefer to have it stay as is, do not have to change their workflows or be forced down a path that they prefer not to be.

i would like to see it tested and tried thoroughly though before it is rolled out. it will take a bit of effort to get right.

cheers.

fce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello everyone,

"I have a sub assembly of around 30 parts that will be placed in other top assemblies.

After some tuning, the BOM Structure of the sub assembly is exactly the way it is needed. 

Although different in order when comparing to its Model Data List.

When the sub assembly is placed into any top assembly, the order of its parts changes within the BOM of the top assembly.

It assumes the order of the Model Data List. I´m not aware of another solution either then changing the order once again.

So my question is:

- is there a way to change the order of the Model Data of an assembly?

- or is there a way to make the top assembly assume the manually adjusted BOM structure of the sub assembly instead of the Model Data List?

- or is there another solution? :)"

This is repost of my initial question in another forum conversation. I would like help in raising some awareness for this situation.

I believe a lot of these problems could be fixed by simply allowing the user to adjust the order of the items in the Model Data List.

Best Regards,

Francisco Vaz Cerqueira

kulasekarandamodaran
Participant

Workaround allows user to make mistake manual  editing of BOM numbers.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can base on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

sungrae.lee
Community Visitor

We need this improment on the large assembly BOM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report