Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial Section View cutting through parts

Partial Section View cutting through parts

When a section view is cutting through a part, the line where the view is cutting should not be straight, but brocken like in a detail view, to show the part is not fully represented.

SectionView

31 Comments
MDS-MQ
Advocate

When creating a partial section view the end of the section view that is cutting through model geometry should not show up as a straight line. The parts that are cut by the end of a section view should be displayed as a jagged edge as in a detail view.

As shown in the attachment.

timdown73
Collaborator

Totally agree!

schnautza
Advocate

I'm fighting this battle right now. If you can get jagged cut lines in a detail view, how hard would it be to add an option for them in section views?

Delmeco
Contributor

Hello,

You're right to visualize it this way. For now, we create a "break out" (left) or we crop the view (right).

Cropping the view also give's a straight line but in our template, this line will be light grey so you can see it ain't a contourline.

section.png

davef
Advocate

Is this still an outstanding request?  This was posted quite a while ago?  I don't see a fix in Inventor 2015.... is this functionaly STILL missing or am I missing it? 

kim.schroeder
Enthusiast

There are several occasions when we really are missing a zig-zag line in Inventor!

First of all, when making a partial Section View it would be very useful to be able to get a zig-zag line at the "break" position when a Section View doesn't run through the whole part, please see picture below.  (Now I simply turn off the visibility of that line).

Partial Section View.JPG

Furthermore, it would also be nice to be able to...

...configure "Crop Cut Line" as a zig-zag line.

...change an existing line into a zig-zag line.

As in the already existing zig-zag line in the "Break" view, it should preferably be possible to chose zig-zag symbol size as well as number of such symbols.

Tags (3)
PaulMunford
Autodesk
If you have a zig zag line type loaded AutoCAD mechanical has one you can borrow), could you select this line and change its layer?
jhackney
Contributor

How about a break out section for a possible solution to your first question.  If you use a spline, you can make a smooth jagged edge or use a closed line to make a sharp zagged edge.  I do not have an suggestion about making a jagged edge for a crop view.

Blog6.jpg

timdown73
Collaborator
kim.schroeder
Enthusiast

@jhackney:

Yes, that's one way to deal with it - but it's a very time consuming work-around.

I want to be able to configure Inventor to produce a "Partial Section View" as requested.

iangreenfield
Observer

I have a quick work around for this, if you now crop the section view making sure the LH side of the crop window doesn't go outside of the LH side of the section view.

Once created look in the browser for the crop view statement, under it is a sketch.

If you right click and edit sketch you can now delete the LH line of the bounding box replace it with a zig zag, (make sure the ends connect with the existing box ends), finish sketch and job done. Not very elegant but works for me !!!

section.png

kim.schroeder
Enthusiast

@iangreenfield

Yes, that's a work-around. But I have to create an extra view as well as manually draw an extra line - I find that time-consuming.

Since Inventor already contains a zig-zag line (in Break view), my idea (here in Inventor Ideastation) is that Inventor also should be able to produce a "Partial Section View" within the Section View enviroment as described in my proposed idea.

kim.schroeder
Enthusiast
timdown73
Collaborator
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-49401]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This Idea is a duplicate of the following Master Idea http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/3538 (logged on 11/25/2013).  Please be sure to cast your Kudo to the other idea as to not split votes.  Thanks! -Dan

samuwihlman
Contributor

Hello,

I have a wish...

If I make a section view and the section line is ending inside the part, Inventor draws new "visible" line to right end of section line (see "now" image).

Comments, please

Tags (2)
-niels-
Mentor
SBix26
Mentor

I think this should be part of the View settings in the Standard styles, with a choice of layers, and/or a broken line style, or None.  The current default of a straight line on the Visible layer is confusing at best.

In the best solution, there would be a separate set of these choices to apply to Offset section breaks-- where a section line jogs to pass through (or avoid) features that do not fall in one continuous cutting plane.  Inventor currently places straight lines in the Visible layer at these breaks, too, which is even more confusing than the edge lines.

I don't have any standards to look at besides ANSI Y14.3-1975 (reaffirmed 1987), but in that one incomplete sections are delineated by a broken line (jiggly), and offset section breaks have no line at all.

- Sam B

samuwihlman
Contributor

I think this is the same idea as 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/section-view-boundary/idi-p/5512608

so i'll give my kudos here 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report