Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face selection, Multiple, Selection

Face selection, Multiple, Selection

Face selection when changing the colour is a PAIN!, - if one by chance selects one single vertex or edge the RMB click does not show Properties, what's the logic behind that??? you select 50 faces and one edge everything has to be reselected! BAD BAD! - select the faces in window / cross window? Selection in Inventor behaves in different ways, why not one simple single way?: need to add to selection, JUST CLICK to select, need to deselect- press ctrl or shift. Now sometimes can just click to select or you have to ctrl to add to selection. Make it one single way. as simple as possible!

20 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [27591]. Thanks!

asiu
Advocate

In Part mode, I would like to be able to multiple select, using "window selection", multiple faces in order to change their color.

At this point, the selection filter (Shift/Right Click) enables you to select at the same time faces and edges. This should be separated as these entities are not compatible as a selection set for changing properties. In other words if you select both faces and edges the "Properties" are not available anymore.

Thank you.

asiu
Advocate

In Part mode, it should be easy enough to be able to select faces only. The filter should be customized to select faces only and not include edges.

Current behavior is to select faces and edges together. If one needs to change properties of faces, this can only be done if the selection set consists of faces alone.

This will enable another improvement: window selection! Please, it will make work so mush faster.

Thanks!

Adrian

Tags (1)
Pete_Mort
Advocate

I'd like to see this implemnted too! There's plenty of room in the selection filter dialogue box to split faces and edges into individually selectable items.

I often accidentally select an edge when the faces and edges filter is on and then have to either de-select/re-select of right click and scroll through the select other list until the required face is selected, I'm aware this has a negative impact on my flow ...

ben_neb43
Enthusiast

In my experience, about 90% of my constraints include planes or faces.

It baffles me as to why "Faces Only" isn't an selection option, I am constantly using "select other" to select the face or plane.

Please mister Idea Station, think about including this feature! Smiley Happy

Yes, and also invert selection would be nice

newcomer
Advocate

Suppose I want to set the color of a complex or repeated surface to some particular color.  I start shift-clicking, but the only selection option I have is "faces and edges".  So I click 20 regions, right-click,  and "Properties" does not appear.  Why?  Because I misclicked and selected an edge.  If I had "faces" selection, I couldn't accidentally select an edge.

joe

DRoam
Mentor

Duplicate: Select faces in Parts

DRoam
Mentor

Duplicate: Face-only selection

newcomer
Advocate

Hmm..sounds like the idea is fairly old (‎03-09-2015 01:23 PM).  Surprising that something that should be easy to fix has not been fixed in at least two releases.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager

When selecting faces for changing color/appearance you can already multi/window-select.

First open the appearance browser. Then you're automatically in multi-window select mode. Select the faces you want to change color & then right click on the appearance you want to change them to, & use Assign to selection.

Not exactly a fully functioning face select mode for all commands, but it works for changing colors.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

This selection enhancement may provide some relief here.  Select Command Reference & What's New 2017 R2

asiu
Advocate

@dan_szymanski

Thank you Dan.

What will make a lot of sense will be to separate the "Select Faces and Edges" into "Select Faces" and "Select Edges". The window selection will work fine afterwards.

darko.caldovicGNLY8
Participant

In multi solid parts it would be useful to use area selection to select solids which are inside of the selection area, or intersect with it. Like it is possible in sketch with lines, or in the Assembly with parts. 

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US27591]

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2021. Multiple faces, or solids can be selected via a window selection, or window cross selection (for quickly applying appearance overrides, or toggling visibility). Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report