Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
25 Kudos
Cadmanto

Parametric Quantities Attached to Balloons

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-01-2013 01:42 PM

In other softwares there were abilities to have the quantities of components (specifically hardware) to show

up adjacent to the balloons.  (see below)

quantities.PNG

Currently to follow ASME Y14.5 we type these in linking them to the drawing views.  While they move when the view is moved they do not move when the balloons are moved.  What a nice addition to the software this would be.

After additional consideration - this has been re-reviewed and Accepted. It is an extension of the following idea which is related - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Attach-Text-to-Balloons/idi-p/3941522 Accepted idea [US21779]. Thanks!
Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-02-2013 04:59 AM

i may misunderstand so i apologise if this is wrong,

we use a leader note for this which can be locked to a balloon quandrant. instead of the second mouse click normally used to define other end of the leader, just hit enter.

it will be more difficult to automatically get the correct Qty for the items though i suspect compared to retrieving that property from the view?

either way the functionality request is a good one. it would save doing the manual work for things like this that are needed often.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-02-2013 01:49 PM

Mark,

I know you can do what you said you are currently doing, but in addition to what I have already written I would like to see this quantity text be edited in some balloon dialog window that allows you to place it at any quadrant of the balloon and also add additional lines of text as well as making it parametric to the assembly so as quantities change so does this.

I would also like the option to turn off the quantity while placing other types of multiple lines of text.

I hope this makes more sense.

by Distinguished Mentor ‎03-04-2013 09:40 AM - edited ‎03-04-2013 09:43 AM

Try message 6. Just put qty instead of notes. You will probably need 2 symbols, one for notes only and one for qty only (with or without notes)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/numbers-are-added-to-symbol-when-using-symbol-in-lie...

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-04-2013 11:10 AM

This is the exact reason why I am suggesting this idea.  All of these are bandaid approaches to get text associated with balloons.  But they are all still not parametric with the BOM.

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎03-05-2013 07:00 AM
Status changed to: Duplicate
Hello this is similar request to another idea posted here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Custom-Balloons-in-a-Style/idi-p/3699590 Both fall under a theme to support custom balloon styles. Be sure to cast a kudo for the duplicate idea. Thanks for sharing the enhancement request. This project [US14659] is under review by the development team.
by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-05-2013 09:18 AM

Dan,

I cast my vote for that one, but I respectfully disagree that this idea is a duplicate of the other one.

The other one is just asking for the ability to add custom symbology to balloons and that is similar to where I want to add attached text to the balloons, but it does not speak to parametric quantities linked to the balloons.  This is where I think they are different.

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎03-06-2013 06:44 AM

Hello Cadmanto,

The idea posted for "custom balloon styles" would support the positioning of any property (QTY, Part Number, Custom property, etc) AND geometry specified within a custom balloon.  Your explicit request for parametric quantity display, association and position are covered within the notion of a "custom balloon style".  I suppose it is a matter of semantics.

For example, today we can create a custom sketch symbol that extracts certain properties from any component (present within a view) it is attached to.  The properties can be positioned, as desired and there is no limit to the # of properties or the amount of geometry (lines, circles, arcs) we include within the respective symbol.  However at the end of the day it is not a balloon and has no association to the parts list or global BOM.  As we have it captured, the idea of a "custom balloon style" would treat a sketched symbol like a balloon.  So I believe we have captured both requests into a single idea or functional notion, thus the duplicate tag on this idea.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-06-2013 07:14 AM

Thanks Dan.

The way you explained it made sense.  Thank you for your attention to this idea.

Scott

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎02-26-2014 08:14 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
After additional consideration - this has been re-reviewed and Accepted. It is an extension of the following idea which is related - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Attach-Text-to-Balloons/idi-p/3941522 Accepted idea [US21779]. Thanks!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube