Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameters and ability to create custom units of measure

Parameters and ability to create custom units of measure

units: add the ability to create and use more complex unit definitions (like yards)

so that volumes can be reported in differing-industries standards (like cu yds instead of ft^3)

also option to report units with separate label (sf for ft^2 or cf for ft^3, also units like plf, psf, pcf)

Parameters: ability to use physical calculated values of a model IN the parameter calculations

6 Comments
rjay75
Collaborator

Yards exist. It's yd. But to express cubic yards you still would use yd^3.

params_yds.PNG

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [399]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

aswright7
Community Visitor

Dan Szymanski,

Why was this changed to "Future Consideration"? What exactly does that mean?

It is quite frustrating to not be able to setup parameters with appropriate units, so I REALLY hope this will be addressed in the VERY near future. Would be very helpful to have in^2, in^3, ft/min, etc. I really like TCMDESIGN_Group's idea of being able to have inventor report and work with custom units. As a mechanical engineer, I often work with HVAC related calculations and being able to use ft/min as fpm and applying it like this: cfm / sqft = fpm

Ultimately, Inventor needs to be more physics friendly.

dariuszm
Advocate

That will be great if there will be oportunity to create custum unit like in Autodesk Vault. Now I can' get same unit in Inventor BOM and Items BOM. This is real issue.

taylorjonesXGNK9
Explorer

Has this ever been resolved? I'm trying to create a system and having the mass in G and KG is integral to it working due to how Revit translates weights from Inventor. 

Ideally a workaround for custom units would be helpful here. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report