Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PARTS LIST MERGE CELLS CAPABILITY

PARTS LIST MERGE CELLS CAPABILITY

My company has used sketch symbols for parts lists used on detail assembly shop drawings in the past.

If there are three parts to an assembly, we would have three rows on the parts list and also an assembly column at the left end of the parts list with all three rows of this column merged, with one assembly number in the column. We could accomplished this by using sketch symbols for the parts lists.

The problem with this is that a sketch symbol parts list has to be edited manually. If someone makes a change/revision to an assembly model and neglects to update the sketch symbol parts list on the drawing manually, we could have a potential manufacturing error.

My company has decided to use the dynamic (Inventor generated) parts lists for detail assembly shop drawings currently. We would like to maintain the structure and look of the sketch symbol parts lists, but are having trouble merging the cells in the last "Assembly" column only.

Could we please have the functionality of excel to create custom parts lists that are automatically linked to the assembly or part models they represent?

I would like the ability to at least add a custom column, link it to an iProperty or Custom iProperty and merge the cells of the custom column.

Please see my attachment.

Thanks,

LoonyLen

8 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We are Autodesk Inventor Users Group Japan.
We are the activities that convey to Autodesk the needs of users in Japan.
This idea is #5 strong demand from users in Japan last year, we have received.

Thank you.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

Thank you for your response.

Genicee
Advocate

It would be beneficial when doing a drawing especially drawings for iAssemblies to have the ability to give parts in the iAssemblies the same Item Number (you currently can) and those Parts/Assembies with the same Item number to be merged into a Single Block as shown in the image below (Highlighted Red).

Merged Item

LOONYLEN
Advocate

I had asked for this two years ago.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/parts-list-merge-cells-capability/idi-p/4351335

I gave Kudos, hope you realize better results than I did with this request.

Len

Genicee
Advocate

I actually Kudos that idea way back when. I must have forgotten it when I made this Idea. Yes I do hope it goes somewhere other than no where. I hope they revamp tables in general they could use a little work.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

I've had to use iLogic to get what I needed.
I was disappointed that I couldn't get what I wanted with the Parts List but, we've adapted to the "new way" I've designed.

This is how I do it now:
List.png

The assemblies are shown horizontal (circled in red). Everything is populated and if changed, updated automatically.
The best part? A model doesn't have to exist in your .idw to populate properties in this intelligent list of material.

Thanks for the Kudos on my old post.

Regards,

Len

Pete_Mort
Advocate

I'd like to see this added to general tables as well, I use a general table to specify the number of turns, turns per layer and winding direction of sensor coils. The fact that I cannot merge cells makes this task more awkward and requires more space on the drawing sheet.

rscherich
Explorer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report