18 Kudos
MarkESmith

Outer Concentric Fillet

by Distinguished Contributor MarkESmith on ‎06-21-2013 02:38 AM

If you fillet an edge then place a hole - the hole can be placed concentrically to the fillet.

What about reversing the workflow?

Place the hole then use the hole as a reference to fillet the edge?

OUTERConcentric.JPG

Comments
by laptop_geek on ‎06-21-2013 11:10 AM

This would be a very handy feature. We model stuff like this all the time and this would be a nice shortcut to the current method of either making a sketch and extruding, or manually inputing the radius.

by Distinguished Contributor DRoam on ‎06-21-2013 11:29 AM

I like it. I'd use it.

by Contributor ilotey on ‎06-21-2013 12:06 PM

This seems trivially simple to achieve just by re-using existing parameters to define the radius?  In this example, since the hole sketch is visible, all you would have to do is click on the '15' dimension to use it as the fillet radius.  Or, if you know the parameter name, you could type it directly.  In either case, the fillet will be linked to the hole center and will resize accordingly.

or am i missing something?

by Distinguished Contributor MarkESmith ‎06-24-2013 02:59 AM - edited ‎06-24-2013 03:00 AM

hello ilotey

You're not missing anything.

Using parameters is a little clicky

What if the hole is dimensioned from a sketch or opposite edge?

Regards

MES

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-24-2013 10:42 AM

MarkESmith wrote:
What if the hole is dimensioned from a sketch or opposite edge?

Then you shouldn't be linking the radius of the fillet to it as it wouldn't follow your design intent.

by Valued Contributor spackle42 on ‎06-30-2013 06:59 PM

You can certainly place a hole concentric to the fillet, just set your hole type to contentric, then select the fillet as the circular reference.  As far as I can see, this can't be reversed.

by Contributor kjay on ‎07-10-2013 08:18 AM
This can ONLY work IF the hole is PERFECTLY positioned relative to the two faces. For a gross example, let the center of the hole be 15mm from one face and 10mm from the other face. Now, attempt a round-over fillet based on the 10mm dimension....How do you resolve that? Best regards,

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube