Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to change Bolted Connection default save location and file name

Option to change Bolted Connection default save location and file name

By default bolted connections save in sub-folder of a folder named by the assembly they are inserted in and they have a super generic file name. This causes issues because you can easily get 20 folders for bolted connections only and multiple bolted connections with the same filename. Multiple bolted connections with the same file name can cause havoc if you ever have to relink them.

My suggestion is to have an option to save all bolted connections in a single folder in the root of the project folder. Also each bolted connection file would have a unique file names based off of the project name.

Some co-workers and myself are doing this manually but it's extra work and some times it gets skipped. Having this would save time and trouble.

Here is a thread which discusses the same problem.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/bolted-connection-naming-problem/td-p/3847957

5 Comments
ilw
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering any work has been done on this front.  I just finished a monster couple of days making custom CC families to conform to internal standards and the one thing that is hindering my use of BC wizard is having to manually rename and locate BC assembly files.  I LOVE the concept of BC wizard but haven't been able to utilize because it's not streamlined.  Manually entering repetitive info really removes me from the design process because I have to constantly switch gears and think about file structure instead of fastener specifications...

I'm probably missing something I've dabbled with BC and CC over the past three years but I always end up turning away and coming up with a manual solution and getting onto the real work of design.  It's funny I seem to have changed the default BC name (probably 6 mos ago when I was trying and failing to push through to my dream of streamlined fastener placement).  

I design industrial process machinery, in the beginning things were small, but with success comes ever increasing scale and complexity.

In a nut shell it would be nice to specify the "Bolted Connection" portion of the ASM names (the program supplies the increment) and have them saved into the last used folder...

Spencer.Kull
Observer

When you do a Bolted Connection there is a small icon in the top right corner called "file naming" the icon is a hand pointing to a screen. Click on it and you get a pop up which you can change the file name and the display name. Also there is a box that says "Always Prompt for file naming", click this box and every time that you do a bolted connection and hit apply or OK the file naming screen will pop up for you to give the bolted connection a file name.

FYI I'm using Inventor 2015.

Hope that helps!

pball
Advisor

kullsCSRAL

This suggestion is to eliminate the need for manually naming bolted connections and everyone that has posted so far mentioned they know how to manually set the name already.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Some possible solutions for this idea are currently under discussion on the NDA based Inventor Feedback/Beta forums. If you would like to contribute to the discussion, please apply for access using this link: https://bit.ly/InventorBeta

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2021. A new option is available to enable or disable the sub-assembly structure when creating bolted connections within an assembly. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report