Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
58 Kudos
mrattray

Open part directly from parts list

by *Expert Elite* on ‎02-14-2013 12:40 PM

I often build custom one-off weldments with 100-150+ unique parts. When I check my parts list for errors and omissions I almost always find a part which I forgot to populate with custom properties. Right now I'm looking at a line item in my parts list and the only thing I know about it is it's made of 316L stainless steel. That only narrows it down to a field of around 90 unique parts.

I think it would be slick if I could simply right click on that line item in my parts list and click an open option bringing me directly to where I need to be to add the neccessary information for this part saving me some very valuable time. This would be very simple to add since, obviously Inventor already knows what this part is.

Accepted idea [US14720]. Thanks!
Comments
by Valued Contributor michael.marx on ‎02-18-2013 04:44 AM

Do you know about the BOM (Bill of Materials) in assembly environment?

All you want to do is possible there! Open Parts from within the list and you can edit iprops directly from this list!! So you don´t have to open the parts one by one.

Michael

by *Expert Elite* on ‎02-26-2013 06:26 AM

Although, as Michael indicated, this can be done from the BOM, I see it as a huge advantage for convenience.  Often errors like this are stumbled across while doing other editing in the Parts List.  To use the BOM to fix them requires closing the Parts List, then going to the BOM to perform the edit.  In some cases, it would be much simpler to be able to just open the one part with an issue and fix it, directly from the parts list.

Additionally, I almost always have parameters linked into my Description field.  Working on the Parts List is often the point where errors in those description dimensions (which are generally either an actual model error, or an error in the Custom Property Format precision) are caught.  Neither of those problems can be fixed from the BOM or the Parts List, so having the ability to open the part directly from either would be very helpful.

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎03-01-2013 12:55 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US14720] is under review by the development team.
by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎03-14-2013 07:40 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US14720]. Thanks!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube