Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open part directly from parts list

Open part directly from parts list

I often build custom one-off weldments with 100-150+ unique parts. When I check my parts list for errors and omissions I almost always find a part which I forgot to populate with custom properties. Right now I'm looking at a line item in my parts list and the only thing I know about it is it's made of 316L stainless steel. That only narrows it down to a field of around 90 unique parts.

I think it would be slick if I could simply right click on that line item in my parts list and click an open option bringing me directly to where I need to be to add the neccessary information for this part saving me some very valuable time. This would be very simple to add since, obviously Inventor already knows what this part is.

7 Comments
michael_marx
Advocate

Do you know about the BOM (Bill of Materials) in assembly environment?

All you want to do is possible there! Open Parts from within the list and you can edit iprops directly from this list!! So you don´t have to open the parts one by one.

Michael

jtylerbc
Mentor

Although, as Michael indicated, this can be done from the BOM, I see it as a huge advantage for convenience.  Often errors like this are stumbled across while doing other editing in the Parts List.  To use the BOM to fix them requires closing the Parts List, then going to the BOM to perform the edit.  In some cases, it would be much simpler to be able to just open the one part with an issue and fix it, directly from the parts list.

Additionally, I almost always have parameters linked into my Description field.  Working on the Parts List is often the point where errors in those description dimensions (which are generally either an actual model error, or an error in the Custom Property Format precision) are caught.  Neither of those problems can be fixed from the BOM or the Parts List, so having the ability to open the part directly from either would be very helpful.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

This project [US-49834] is under review by the development team.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-49834]. Thanks!

APatterson_1
Enthusiast

I wonder what the status is on this. I'm on 2013 right now with 2015 sitting here on my desk ready to update. I was going to wait until I am done with my current project to update, but with features like this I may just go ahead and do it now.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. In a drawing, simply right click on any row of your parts list and select "open". If your cursor is placed over any portion of the parts list row or cell lines and you select "open" the top level assembly the parts list references will be opened.  Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

DRoam
Mentor

For anyone interested, here is a related request: Drawings: Open a Component from its Balloon label.

I think this is a very obvious and logical thing to implement, in the name of thoroughness of functionality. It would result in a much more pleasing user experience where the user has confidence that anywhere he might want and expect to be able to open a Part from, he can.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report