Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Browser for iLogic

Object Browser for iLogic

We need an object browser for iLogic, just like the one that can be found in the API window. This would make complex iLogic programming much easier, especially for beginners.

Capture.JPG

31 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

This would be great.  We have often resorted to pulling up the VBA editor first while working on an iLogic rule, just to get access to information like this.  It would be a big improvement to have this kind of help more accessible from the iLogic editor.

laptop_geek
Advocate

I think an object browser for iLogic would be a great step in improving the iLogic abilities. A debugger for iLogic would also be an inprovement.

mrattray
Advisor

A debugger would certainly be a welcome addition. Thanks for the suggestion, laptop_geek.

Something like Visual Studio's Intellisense would be huge, too.

jdkriek
Advisor

Object browser and debugger are really needed. I do the same thing, pull it up in VBA first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Intelisense in the iLogic editor would make the iLogic more user friendly...

cwhetten
Advisor

What is intelisense?  Can you describe what it does and why it would be helpful?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Anonymous
Not applicable

IntelliSense is the general term for a number of features: List Members, Parameter Info, Quick Info, and Complete Word. These features help you to learn more about the code you are using, keep track of the parameters you are typing, and add calls to properties and methods with only a few keystrokes. See Visual Studio by Microsoft as an example.

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelli-sense

Hopfully this will clarify my message.

dgorsman
Consultant

This wish appears to be a sub-set of another wish:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Object-Browser-for-iLogic/idi-p/3874083

How about we roll this one and its comments and votes into the other?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If we could merge the two wishes together it would be fine by me.

mrattray
Advisor

I notified the moderator that we'd like these wishes merged. I don't know if it's possible with wishes or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mrattray

I don't no if it means anything, but it doesn't seem as we got all the "Kudos" from the original post regarding the "iLogic Intellisense" when the posts were merged

Regards

Holgarsson

Skadborg.NTI
Advocate

In stead of making all this from scratch, perhaps it could be implemented in a way, where you could use Visual Studio Express as Rule Editor? And a user setting to control wether to use "Classic Rule Editor" or "Visual Studio Express if installed".

mrattray
Advisor

I would certainly be happy with that, psp.

chadj
Participant

This would be great as well as the intellisense. Do you need a seperate idea for that? Kudos!

wolfgang_nickl
Advocate

In my opinion IntelliSense is the most missing feature,

but object browser will also be nice.

fsdolphin
Collaborator

I agree, intelisense and documentation browser are a must.

APvdM
Contributor

This would be great!!!

rob_bolter
Enthusiast
Agreed, I use Visual studio for intellisense then paste it back into the iLogic window. Also, upgrade the framework from 3.5 to 4.0 or above 🙂
Jon.Balgley
Alumni

I know this thread has been sitting here untouched for more than a year, but maybe there's some life here!

The so-called Object Browser is in fact a class browser. OK, that's worth something.

Would it be valuable to have a different kind of "browser" that showed the live Inventor API object model, with the appropriate current values of all (API) properties, starting with the Application object and going through the whole hierarchy from there?  As I envision it, you'd see the values for properties, but no values for methods (needing arguments).  You'd be able to "copy" an appropriate code-snippet to get any property or method.  It would be a complete reference starting from the Application object, or maybe the document or componentDefinition, and so you'd probably have to delete some text from the front of the snippet in order to really use it.

Here's a very rough idea of it.  Not exactly how we would do it, just showing this to encourage some ideas.  In this example, you're "in" a part, and you are browsing through the first of 5 extrude-features:

image.png

Telson.Hadden
Advocate

ANYTHING would be helpful.  even making the ilogic window non-modal so we could browse the existing object browser... or just give us a button in the ilogic window to use the browser.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report