Advocate

rib2.jpg

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

fsanchou
Advocate

Autodesk,

I have a new client who raised me on this idea.

Can you tell us? It seems that this has not changed with the 2015 release.

Pete_Mort
Advocate

I'd like to see this too, its not implimented in 2016 and does not conform to BS 8888 & BS ISO 128-44 which states that ribs should not be cut in longitudinal section.

My borders state DRAWN I.A.W BS 8888 ...

2016 Screenshot:

Rib Section.PNG

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Setting status back to "Gathering support".  The Dev team provided some estimates on what this would take and the current vote count does not justify any action at this time (5/18/2016).  Please vote this up if you need it in your design practices.  Thanks! 

Gokhan_Kaya
Mentor

can be select Rib Feature  when creating section for not hatch

jorge-andrade
Enthusiast

In Inventor .idw when we are detailing an assembly it is possible to exclude one or more parts from the section. As shown below:

1.png3.png

This function could exist for parts, being able to add or remove features of the section, would be very useful (rib is a good example of this improvement):

2.png

According to technical standards no hatching is applied on ribs:

6.png

Placement of Menu:

4.pngResult:

5.png

Tags (3)
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant
jorge-andrade
Enthusiast

OK, my idea was moved as a comment on @fsanchou's idea. My question is what visibility will this idea have to be promoted? This idea was posted in 2013 and, frankly, not applying hatching to a rib is something basic, this should have been implemented a long time without the need to be provided as an idea

@Curtis_Waguespack

@dan_szymanski

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi @jorge-andrade,

Thanks for your inquiry.  Previous conversations with my Development counterparts eluded that this was not easy or simple (from a technical standpoint) to deliver.  Like all Ideas posted to this forum, we closely monitor the vote count (which provides us with an indication of how many people desire or have a need for said Idea) and attempt to deliver what we can with our given resources.  The more votes an Idea has, the more visible it is to everyone who visits this forum, including our Inventor Engineering team.  In a perfect world, once the vote count justifies the Development effort, the Idea will get implemented.  It is a bit more complicated than even that simple explanation, however I hope this helps "some".

fsanchou
Advocate

Hi @jorge-andrade,

Your idea is excellent and I have been waiting for it for a long time.
Today the customer (who needed it in 2013) uses another software that does this well.
Unfortunately, the amount of demand takes precedence over compliance with the ISO standard.

Since time I have learned to do without.

MultiSolid Rib.png

Hi @dan_szymanski
Today with a multibody part in a drawing it is possible to choose which solid participates to section. Unfortunately the Rib feature in a part don't create new solid. The solution may be here ...

Regards,

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi Jorge-tecnico,

• frankly, not applying hatching to a rib is something basic, this should have been implemented a long time without the need to be provided as an idea

dan.szymanski can likely speak to this better than I can, (edit: it looks like he already did! ) ...but I don't think anything is as simple as it seems, concerning improvement ideas. Often what seems like a simple improvement to us (the users), actually touches many areas of the program, so the process for adding the idea becomes quite involved.

Additionally, many times one idea that seems simple is reliant on one or more other improvements, so these ideas must be "weaved" together into a development plan.

And to complicate matters the development plan is often charted out years in advance, and involves budgeting, etc.

• My question is what visibility will this idea have to be promoted?

I don't have a good answer for this. I know that the Idea forum is not perfect, but it is a huge improvement over what we had in the past. I do know that it is being actively managed, and improved upon. Part of that management of the ideas is keeping duplicate ideas tied together.

I think currently, commenting on ideas is one of the better ways to keep an idea from getting buried in the Idea forum. In addition to that I'll do a bit of promotion for this idea, and see if we can make it a bit more visible.

jorge-andrade
Enthusiast

Hi @Curtis_Waguespack@dan_szymanski and @fsanchou Thanks for the answers!

Referring to the creation of commands I know is more complicated than it seems, that behind a button there is an extensive code. I work as a technical support in a Autodesk reseller, I was asked by customers about it, at that time I was not that active in Inventor Ideas, but from now on I will be informing them of the existence of this forum and that idea.

Frédéric I already knew this mode you mentioned (And is one of the ways I recommend to customers), but as you yourself stated it does not work on Ribs made with Rib command because it does not generate new bodie (Which in a way loses the utility of the command). Other way, but more laborious is as shown in the following LINK:

Rib without hatch

Perhaps a simpler solution than allowing the Rib command to create New Bodie and remove the hatches as Frédéric Sanchou mentioned

Best regards

Jam_Jumpin
Advocate

The amount of time or effort it takes is irrelevant. This is professional engineering drawing package and so it should meet BS and ISO standards.

Being an American company does not mean you can just ignore the rest of the world.

It's not open source software, we pay a lot of money for this every year.

freesbee
Collaborator

@Curtis_WaguespackI'm sorry, but I quite agree with @jorge-andrade and @Jam_Jumpin here: if there is a valid and well established norm stating that ribs should not be hatched that should have been implemented despite votes or likes in the IDEAs platform. I have heard this comment for the first time in 2001 during my 1st inventor training, and since then nothing has happened. Compliance to standards is very important: each point where a software does not comply with an ISO worts hundreds of likes. That's why I'll bring this idea immediately in my pool of supported ideas... Smiley Wink

benny_wellekens
Enthusiast

This option has been around for a long time in SolidWorks where part features can be removed from the section participation such as parts in an assembly. :pencil:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report