Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need tools to help with imported CAD data

Need tools to help with imported CAD data

There is nothing more frustrating than to import a part (.step, .sat...etc) and then not be able to use it because of "bad" geometry or topology.  Just because the part has passes the "Repair" tool does not mean that there will not be problems for many downstream operations like Sculpt and Combine.

I would like to see some more advanced tools to help detect "Near-tangency", "Sliver faces" and other anomilies that Inventor has trouble handling.  Many times it is difficult to even see the sliver faces when zoomed all the way in on the part.

sliver_face1.png

It would be great if it would fix the problems automaically, but that might be too complicated.  At least give use some tools that would identify some possible areas of concern so that they can be addressed by the user.

Thanks

2 Comments
karthur1
Mentor

Something that might help is being able to zoom in closer.  An example wouold be say if I projected a 3d sketch geometry to a 2d plane then tried to project this.  If the end points do not match then the loop is not closed and it will not project.  If I zoom in as close as I can, I can see a small gap between the endpoints, but if I try to draw a line between them to connect them, I cant pick the endpoints.  I'm sure the zoom level is limited for a reason, but it would be nice to get in closer if needed.

Another thing that I ran into the other day was trying to use a 3D projected curve as the path for the sweep.  The sweep would fail because the projected curve was not G1 tangent.  Would it be possible to be able to make the projected curve G1 tangent?  Currently there are no tools to even know that the path is (or not) G1 tangent (if there is, I havent found it).

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report