Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
24 Kudos
Cadmanto

Need Mid Plane for all CC Structural Beams

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-14-2013 08:23 AM

We are finding when we create structural frames that the need to have a mid plane in the exact middle of the beam or pipe to be very useful.  What we are having to do is bring this piece in as custom and then add this mid plane.

This is even more of an issue when it comes to frame generator.  :smileymad:

Why is the default configuration of these CC parts with the plane on the end when there is already a flat surface there

and not smack dab in the middle of the structural member?  My suggestion is to move this plane to the middle.

Comments
by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎03-14-2013 09:13 AM

Great suggestion. I would like to see the origin planes at the center of the structural member. The beam profile should be extruded symmetrically rather then in one direction.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-14-2013 09:15 AM

That is the same way we felt as well.

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎04-22-2013 04:31 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by kevinb on ‎11-26-2013 12:14 PM

I re-added this under something else:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Midplane-in-Structural-Members/idi-p/4644459

If Mods would delete the other idea, that's good.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-26-2013 01:28 PM

As long as they both get implemented doesn't really matter.

Thanks for incorporating it and linking it here.

by kevinb on ‎12-04-2013 12:56 PM

I suspect that the code is set up in such a way that you cannot extrude symetrically because of the way that the frame generator works, purely on guess work.  The only reason I can think of that you'd use start and end planes (which is what the files contain if you look at one) is that you make it so that you can bind the start/end planes to start/end points on a wireframe in the frame generator.  I suggested the change I did (add a "mid plane" plane) because I think it's a simple "one bit of code added" to the content center files and you wouldn't have to change any other code.  If the frame generator needs to know the end points, that may require more coding work.  But, I'm not a code monkey, I've just done enough to know basic coding logic.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-04-2013 02:08 PM

You might be right that it might be written more for FG, but for a programmer, I am hoping this is an easy fix so this can be used through out the entire program instead of just for FG.

by kevinb on ‎04-08-2014 12:13 PM

Well, if they added the default midplane feature, the FG wouldn't need anything changed and it would make it easier on the rest of us.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube