Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More control over sketch dimensions

More control over sketch dimensions

I would like to be able to have more control over how the dimensions are displayed in the part sketch.  When we place dimensions they go to there own "automatic" placement.  Even if we arrange them, they will move back to where they want to go. Very frustrating and it makes for a cluttered sketch environment.

2013-04-05_0835.png

Another thing that I would like is to be able to drag the end point of the dimensions so it can be redefined.  The way it is now, we have to delete the dimension and the reassing it to where we want. For instance like the vertical 1.500 dim shown on the far left in the attached pic. Say that I wanted the 1.500 to go from the lower line its attached up to the hole center closer to the top. We have no way to drag the dim line.

Both of these features are available in other SW and it is really nice to have.

8 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements have been made within the Sketch environment to enable Relaxed dragging, display constraints on creation, show constraints for selected objects, delete selected 2D constraints, topology changes during offset, constraint inference control, virtual intersections and More! Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
karthur1
Mentor

Dan..... all the things you list here that are in 2015 are nice..... but we still do not have the ability to redefine a dimension by draggin it to a new point. 

Kirk

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
My apologies Kirk, I misinterpreted this request. I believe what you are asking for is behavior similar to what AutoCAD offers in respect to dragging dims? I have updated the status of this Idea and again I am sorry for the confusion on this one. Regards, Dan
DRoam
Mentor

Yes, please add the ability to grab the tail of an extension line to redefine a dimension.

Sometimes I want to change the referenced geometry for a dimension, but the dimension is referenced externally by other parts. Right now, I have to delete the dimension, create a new one, then go in to every part that referenced it (which requires remembering all of them), and re-setup the reference to the dimension.

DRoam
Mentor

Another idea relating to the first part of this idea (ugly Sketch dimensions): Dimension line rescaling in sketches.

And here's a dedicated idea for the second part: Possibility to change dimension attachment in sketch

cormac
Contributor

What's the status on this?

Hunteil
Collaborator

I cross posted this idea into this combined idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/sketch-dimension-improvements-redefine-dimension-arran...

I assume the developers would prefer to tackle all this at the same time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report