Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure tool units- include option for feet AND inches, not just decimal feet.

Measure tool units- include option for feet AND inches, not just decimal feet.

Example: 1124.139 inches is shown as identical to 93.678 ft, but neither of these numbers is particularly useful to me in most cases. Decimal inches is not so debilitatiing since I know the conversion to most fractions over the range of an inch, but I do not know how many inches are in 93 feet without taking all the workflow momentum down to either a calculator or some quick mental arithmetic well outside normal memorized multiplications.

4 Comments
mbardzel
Contributor

Autodesk, please add this feature. It is so time consuming having to use a calculator at times, hundreds of times in a design to do something this software is designed to do from the start anyway and which Autocad which you also write has done for decades. It will also help eliminate errors designing. One can even buy a $50 calculator with this function. Construction calculators. Why can't a $10,000 software package include this from a company that already has developed the technology decades ago do this.

I have to deal with converting inch measurements of things on a daily basis all day every day to feet and inches and fractions of an inch. Feet and inches and fractions of an inches are the standard format for a huge world out there. Not everyone is strictly a machinist and even many machinist at least want feet and decimal inches.  I can even deal with decimal inches being used to converting to fractions of an inch in my head (because this is limited up to one inch to memorize) but as Jatiswaram stated its not practical dealing with converting unlimited values of feet to inches. Fractions are nice to tho.

I am a longtime user of Inventor and work in many fields. (started with release 9) and I am amazed this huge issue of having to use a calculator for literally 99% of designing process with inventor is still in existance and not long ago obsolete. Love the product otherwise.

8wr_zj
Advocate

I agree with the others have said.  It is a big hassle to convert 80'7 11/16" to something else and then back to fett and inches for checking purposes.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017.3. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

feet-inch.png

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

See here for more info: What's New 2018 Measure Enhancements

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report