Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure distance in dual units by default

Measure distance in dual units by default

Make an option so you can measure using dual units by default.  (inch/metric)  I don't like selecting this option with each part I open, I just want it to happen automatically.

26 Comments
arbreen
Observer

I, too, use this tool frequently and need to change dual-unit display and precision level. I wish there was a simple way to set a default for it.

coreyparks
Advisor

It would be nice if you could set it once and then it persists until changed even if you didn't add a specific application option for this.

sparrow169
Contributor

YES. There should be a tab for "Measurement settings" in the Application Options dialog box.

jerry.routen
Explorer

Does anyone have a fix or macro for setting default precision or dual Units?

SBix26
Mentor

In my case, my parts and assemblies are a mix of inch and millimeter units, and I'd be ecstatic if Inventor could remember that I want my dual units to always be on, and that I want to see inches and millimeters every time, no matter which one is set as the unit for that particular file.

Sam B

DRoam
Mentor

FYI, here's a loosely related Idea regarding model dimensions (i.e. Sketch dimensions): Dual Dimensions in model sketch.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea is Gathering Support (edited). Dual Units specified within the Measure command persist within your active Inventor session, across documents.  Measurement precision changes will persist within individual documents.  Additional improvements to Measure in Autodesk Inventor 2017.3 include the ability to restart a measurement by clicking in the graphics window and a new "Foot - Architectural" dual unit (to display feet - inches). -Dan

SBix26
Mentor

@dan_szymanski, can you explain what changed in 2017.3 with regards to dual units?  Seems to me it works just as it did in 2017 RTM, and in 2016, 2015, etc.

Thanks,

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R3
Vault Basic 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Thanks for the correction @SBix26.  Apparently I got carried away marking Ideas as Implemented today for 2017.3.  I will edit my post.  Per @crmayo original quote, it was stated: "I don't like selecting this option with each part I open, I just want it to happen automatically".  It can be set once and it sticks.  I have reset this idea to Gathering Support.  Thanks! -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

SBix26
Mentor

"Accepted" would be nice...

Sam B

ckralik
Explorer

Also, if it could change the precision/units for the measurement you just took if you change in the middle of measuring, instead of making you re-measure if you forgot to change your setting, that would be nice.  But it wouldn't be as much of a concern if you could just set it once (per Inventor revision, that is) and forget it instead of having to reset and reset and reset and...

les
Observer
Observer

What is the latest with this? Has GATHERING SUPPORT led to any result? You used to be able to have dual units as standard in 2010 Inventor, why take away this feature?

SBix26
Mentor

The Measure tool was totally re-written for Inventor 2018.  Starting with 2017 R2, the Precision setting is stored in files, so it persists across sessions.  This didn't apply to dual units, though. 

In 2018, dual unit settings are also saved with the file, as well as separate settings for linear precision and angular precision.  So if you modify your templates to your desired dual unit configuration, Inventor now does what this Idea proposes, so I suppose it should be changed to "Implemented".  @dan_szymanski, what do you think?

Sam B

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Not Implemented yet. Please do this for us... it is a recognized shortcoming for the Measure tool.

CadUser46
Collaborator

What's the story with this?  Using 2019.3 Pro, every file i open i still need to turn on dual units.

Actually it doesn't even persist across uses within the same file.

SBix26
Mentor

The setting is saved per file in 2019.  So yes, on legacy files you will have to set it for every file in which you wish to measure using those settings.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.0 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

rcrenshawYSXEH
Community Visitor

What is the status on this? I absolutely agree with the need for dual units by default.  I am confused about why this idea is marked as Implemented, it certainly has not been.

SBix26
Mentor

@rcrenshawYSXEH Since you have control of your templates (you do, don't you?), then you can choose to make this the default.  You may prefer that it be an Application Option, but Autodesk have chosen to make it a file setting, which has some advantages.  That's how it was implemented, so it makes sense to mark it as such.

Sam B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea