3 Kudos
divingdoug

Lose the project file

by Valued Contributor divingdoug on ‎12-05-2012 12:28 PM

What an asinine feature.  When I first started with Inventor, I selected the default project file and went on my merry way.  I just found out 1) I can now not complete a pack-and-go on anything I have done becasuse there is not a specific project file for each location and 2) my CAD technician indicated he has to (manually) create a new project file everytime he works on someone elses stuff otherwise his system doesn't know where everything is.

Solidworks seems to work fine without this "feature",  why can't Inventor.

Comments
by Distinguished Contributor cmcconnell on ‎12-06-2012 07:01 AM

It sounds to me (no offense) like you and your people need some training in the use of project files.

by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎12-07-2012 09:42 AM

I agree with CMC. You need to learn what project files do and it is vitle that everyone is using a globle project file.

by Distinguished Contributor Vlad.Makarov on ‎12-07-2012 10:07 AM

I agree with the poster, a BS feature & always has been.

The dev who thought up the idea got on the forums & stated how they were implemented as an organizational method because Autodesk had no true EDM/PLM program at the time.

by *Pro on ‎01-02-2013 09:50 AM

Project files are a great way to manage projects.  They are fundamental to every bit of work that we do in Inventor, but are rarely even noticed by most users.

by Employee on ‎01-28-2013 11:00 AM
Status changed to: Duplicate

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-19-2013 05:57 AM

I understand the use of a project file.  But I do think that it can be eliminated for those that have a PDM system.  My biggest beefs are when the project file changes to the default from our standard company one randomly.  It also becomes a pain when you want to occationally want to work out of the master project file and get the error message stating such.  It seems to me that the MP file is for those users that are not disaplined enough to work with in a controlled environment.

Why can't the settings that are controlled by the MP file be placed within the application options?

Just my 2 cents.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube