Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request END OF LIFE for the project file also known as the ipj

Request END OF LIFE for the project file also known as the ipj

Hello Group<br>I know this will be a hard thing to ask and implement but it's time for the IPJ file to go. <br>The project file annoys SW users beyond belief, many Inventor users don't understand what it does. <br>So Inventor should find another way to find his files:) .<br>Autodesk, please kill the ipj<br>Regards<br>Dan

13 Comments
divingdoug
Advocate

What an asinine feature.  When I first started with Inventor, I selected the default project file and went on my merry way.  I just found out 1) I can now not complete a pack-and-go on anything I have done becasuse there is not a specific project file for each location and 2) my CAD technician indicated he has to (manually) create a new project file everytime he works on someone elses stuff otherwise his system doesn't know where everything is.

Solidworks seems to work fine without this "feature",  why can't Inventor.

cmcconnell
Collaborator

It sounds to me (no offense) like you and your people need some training in the use of project files.

MDS-MQ
Advocate

I agree with CMC. You need to learn what project files do and it is vitle that everyone is using a globle project file.

Vlad.Makarov
Advocate

I agree with the poster, a BS feature & always has been.

The dev who thought up the idea got on the forums & stated how they were implemented as an organizational method because Autodesk had no true EDM/PLM program at the time.

SBix26
Mentor

Project files are a great way to manage projects.  They are fundamental to every bit of work that we do in Inventor, but are rarely even noticed by most users.

smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Cadmanto
Mentor

I understand the use of a project file.  But I do think that it can be eliminated for those that have a PDM system.  My biggest beefs are when the project file changes to the default from our standard company one randomly.  It also becomes a pain when you want to occationally want to work out of the master project file and get the error message stating such.  It seems to me that the MP file is for those users that are not disaplined enough to work with in a controlled environment.

Why can't the settings that are controlled by the MP file be placed within the application options?

Just my 2 cents.

jletcher
Advisor

SW users annoys Inventor users.............. Smiley LOL

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

Yeah...probably 

Sw users which start work with Inventor are very annoyed. 

Autodesk needs to help them. What better way then end this projects invention

dan

crmayo
Advocate

couldn't disagree more..  not a fan of vault.

Dan_Margulius
Advisor
Hi,
I did not meant to Vault only mode.
Vault has his place but it is possible as in other CAD soft wares not to manage data with projects.

Dan
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report