Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach Text to Balloon, Annotation or View

Attach Text to Balloon, Annotation or View

This is something the really bugs me about Inventor drawings. PTC Creo/Proe has the ability to be able to simply create a text item then right click it and choose either 'Relate to View' or 'Relate to Object'. This functionality is great because it allows you to create text in reference to views or balloons etc really quickly and easily. It has also been around for years!

I know in Inventor there are some work arounds for this. Like creating a leader note then deleting the leader or creating a sketch in reference to the view etc but for me these work arounds are not exactly good working solutions. Surely something like what Creo has should be able to be implemented??

25 Comments
MDLtd
Contributor

Sometimes I add text to an Inventor drawing (a note for an example, without an attached leader) that I want to keep in relationship to a given view.

Currently if that view is moved the text is left behind.

I would like to have the option of fixing those notes relative to a selected view. This relationship to be switchable on/off as requried.

Regards,

Dave

MDLtd

www.mdltd.org

PaulMunford
Autodesk
You can do this by creating a view that is associated to the sketch, and creating your note inside it, or by using a regular leader and deleting the leader, a la: http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/04/associate-text-note-with-drawing-view.html?m=1
dvsmiller9
Advocate

We do this with a sketch attached to the view like Paul mentioned.  Single click the view then create sketch.  In the sketch place your text or whatever else you want associated with the view.

MDLtd
Contributor
Hi,

Yes, I have applied sketches to drawings before, but I would prefer a simple
right click on the text "attach to view" if at all possible.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Dave

MDLtd

www.mdltd.org
MrSmithtastic
Advocate

This sort of thing seems to have been asked for time and time again. Autodesk don't seem to be listening though!

DRoam
Mentor

We also need this ability when pulling properties from an attached (leader or not) annotation: 

Choose whether properties will be pulled from:

• The component the View is of
  • A specific sub-assembly level of the view
  • The part being pointed to
  • An arbitrarily selected component selected using "Browse"

In the case of attaching an annotation to another annotation, we need the ability to draw a secondary "reference" leader which can optionally be invisible but is used to provide the options listed above.

MrSmithtastic
Advocate

@DRoam wrote:

We also need this ability when pulling properties from an attached (leader or not) annotation: 

Choose whether properties will be pulled from:

• The component the View is of
  • A specific sub-assembly level of the view
  • The part being pointed to
  • An arbitrarily selected component selected using "Browse"

In the case of attaching an annotation to another annotation, we need the ability to draw a secondary "reference" leader which can optionally be invisible but is used to provide the options listed above.

Totally agree with this too. But first things first haha!

phaeronkor
Advocate

Hello!

Propose to make this feature.

Same as Solidworks has. Simply, when clicking text button it propose you to choose where to add text, if you choose field with created view it sticks to the drawing view and can be moved with it. If you choose blank field (with no drawing view) it is freely movable.

Thanks!

P.S. I know about hint with leader text and deleting the leader, but we are here to make our work faster and easier, are we?

Tags (3)
asiu
Advocate

@phaeronkor

If I understand your request correctly, you are trying to have the text moving with the view.

The functionality already exists in Inventor.

1) If you want the text to stick with the view, you have to first select the view and click "Start Sketch". The note you put will be moving around as  you drag the view.

2) Just place your text anywhere in the drawing, and the text will be independent of drawing view moving.

Hope it helps,

Adrian

phaeronkor
Advocate

@asiu

Hello! Well...yeah, maybe that's cool to make it in that way, or in a way like I mentioned (with deleting leader), but...really, does it comfortable for you? Instead of one operation you have to make three (start a sketch, add text, end editing sketch).

Pete_Mort
Advocate

I would also welcome this functionality, I've not used Creo but the option to attach notes to a view or an object sounds good.

Autodesk have added the attach option to detail view selections so I don't understand why its not extended to other functions ....

metamere
Contributor

By the way, you don't have to delete the leader, you just attach the leader to the balloon and then drag the text right next to the balloon and the leader will disappear.  I liked SolidWorks' function of grouping items together.  It achieved the same thing with less effort, and was much more powerful to boot.  I could use something like that as a workaround for driving fields in weld symbols.

HPsteam
Advocate

This should be coded so anything can be able to attach to anything you select. Easy as that...

Seems like Inventor has workaround for every little, but hella useful action (that other software already have implemented for years..)

Dave_Lapthorne
Contributor

I get asked about this on a monthly basis as I'm teaching Inventor Documentation classes. This would definitely be a very useful update to Inventor's functionality.

asuyambu
Contributor

Please add a feature to attach a text to a view to that the text can move if we move the view. The 'leader text' is there but an 'attached text' without a leader will be helpful to put custom texts in views.

Thanks & Regards

Aravind

Yashasvi23481
Collaborator

Hi Aravind, I think you need to define sketch symbol like centre line so when you create centreline you add symbol...that way everytime you move the view, text moves along. 

bsidesign
Enthusiast

Aravind,

You will get what you want with a leader line but after placing it you need to go and right click on the leader and delete the leader line. This will leave the text and it now moves with the view, it's an extra step which I agree with your idea you shouldn't have to do but it is a work around for now that will solve your issue.

asuyambu
Contributor
Thank you. I tried this work around and it works!! And yes a dedicated tool would be best.
asuyambu
Contributor
Thanks for the workaround. I have not tried this yet. However a dedicated option would be best as we are doing this all the time.
Yashasvi23481
Collaborator

Hi Aravind,

Define sketch is one off work. Everytime you want to attach the text all you do is insert symbol and place wherever you want. It will move with view. Please see attached pdf with screenshot as an example. you can open any drawing and do the same. You can possibly create text symbol for frequently used terms like Machine notes, change/Rev triangle, Direction as in Front of machine and Rear or North. Bottomline is define once and keep using as many times you like. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Yash

PS: I have pdf with screenshot I created but I guess you cant add documents apart from pics. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report