Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked node names between Solid Bodies tree view and Features tree view

Linked node names between Solid Bodies tree view and Features tree view

It would be good to allow to use the same node name in the Features tree view as a node in the Solid Bodies tree view. Currently, I have to enter two different names (one for the Features tree view and a sligthly different one for the Solid Bodies tree view). For example, if I create an extrusion called
"Back", I can't then rename the newly generated Solid Body node "Solid1" to "Back" as well. So I usually call the feature "Back Profile" and the Solid Body "Back". But it would be good to be able to name them indentically for easy reference. 

A step further would be to automatically link the names, especially for solid generating features (Extrude, Revolve, Loft or Sweep). So when the feature node name is renamed, the associated soild body could be renamed too, or the featured could be called "<Solid body name> + Extrusion".

5 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk

If you navigate to:

Tools > Application options > Parts > 'Display extend information'

You can insert the feature details after the feature name. This will get you half way to your request.

I agree that the user should be able to pick the same name for differnt types features, and Inventor should understand the difference.

MRanda
Advocate

I have had several clients who were very upset about this. It has always annoyed me as well. Currently I work around this limitation. Why can't a Sketch have the same name as an Extrusion, which is the same as a Solid Body? Paul is (of course) correct about the workaround, but you would expect better from Inventor.

johnstda
Enthusiast
It would certainly make organising and understanding the design a lot
easier.
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report