Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolidWorks Feature Request - Midpoint Line

SolidWorks Feature Request - Midpoint Line

In SolidWorks (2015) you can start a midpoint line where the line command draws a symmetric line from the first mouse click.

It's obviously a simple thing but it really can be a time saver as I often start sketches that way. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV_i38ga5P0

53 Comments
JachinMK
Participant

Hi there,

Just like we have the rectangular from center in sketch mode it would be great if there was a line option to start a line from it's center. The line is then centered to the startpoint at all times. 

Would save us putting constrains on lines.

cheers!

Jachin

Tags (3)
jletcher
Advisor

Why?

I have never need this in 25 years of cad.

a line is a line.

I would never like to see this not even as an option..

What constraints would it save you one constraint?

Cadmanto
Mentor

In Catia and Pro-E there is the option when creating a sketch that allows a line to be stretched sysmetrically when the mid point is grabbed.

I can see this being of use in this software as well

jtylerbc
Mentor

I would use this.  Would save some time in situations where I currently draw a line deliberately out of position, then use a Coincident constraint on the midpoint to put it where I really wanted it in the first place.

See also this loosely related idea regarding dimensioning to a midpoint:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/binding-dimension-of-the-middle-line-in-the-sketc...

DRoam
Mentor

I would definitely use this quite often.

lch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just like we have the rectangular from center in sketch mode it would be great if there was a line option to start a line from it's center. The line is then centered to the startpoint at all times. 

Would save us putting constrains on lines.

Delmeco
Contributor

Many times a sketch line must be constraint to midpoint while drawing sketch lines. Now it must be done by drawing a line and constraint it after drawing the line. 

It should be much easilier when a sketch line could be drawn like slotted holes or rectangulars.Midpoint Line.png

Tags (7)
APvdM
Contributor

That would be great!

(it's called "midpoint line" in SolidWorks)

niksasa
Collaborator
danijel.radenkovic
Collaborator

This is something that is very useful. Vote for this!

RasmusBredal
Advocate

Great idea and it can be a time saver! 

2016-12-06 10_59_34-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2015 - NOT FOR RESALE - [CM750L.ipt].png2016-12-06 10_59_15-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2015 - NOT FOR RESALE - [CM750L.ipt].png

Torben.pedersen
Collaborator

Hi all

I make a lot of drawings, were it would help me a lot to get the opportunity to make a line from a center point, and then insert the wanted dimension for that line, and then it goes in both directions as in the picture here unter

Line tool.png

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski / @Discussion_Admin, could the following ideas be merged?

And if they're merged, could the Master be given the picture from this comment in the main description?

DRoam
Mentor

Interesting idea. Thinking about when I would use this, whenever I want to stretch a line symmetrically from its midpoint, it's 100% of the time because the midpoint is a point of symmetry. And if that's the case, I 99% of the time already have the midpoint constrained in the symmetry direction. And when the midpoint is already constrained, all you have to do to symmetrically stretch the line is grab one of the endpoints and pull.

This suggestion would maybe be useful in that 1% of cases where my midpoint is a point of symmetry but isn't constrained in the symmetry direction... but I'm not really sure if that ever happens. Even 1% may be an exaggeration.

Unless I'm not thinking of something, @Cadmanto?

(Tagging the voters as well so they can weigh in: @fprico, @al_inventor, @Anonymous, @mgauthier, @timdown73, @leblanc2024, @Anonymous)

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [1991]. Thanks!

wouter
Enthusiast

A Mid-point Line command

Very simple but I would use this all the time.

I have not found the possibility to do this in Inventor, only that is was added to similar programs.

If anyone knows of this command i would love to hear about it!

Now i have to draw a line first and the constrain the mid point to, lets say, the origin.

Thanks in advance,

Wouter Vrouwenvelder

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi Wouter

I think you're requesting the same as below idea.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/stretch-a-line-symetrically-from-the-center/idi-p/4870...

Regards,

wouter
Enthusiast

Hi, 

Unless i'm interpreting it wrong it's not exactly the same.

He suggests that a line where it's midpoint is not perse contrainted can be symmetricly streched (so that it's midpoint stays put)

In that case the line would be already there.

Where as I would like to see a sketch feature where you can first define a lines midpoint and than the desired length and direction.

Wouter

Torben.pedersen
Collaborator
wouter
Enthusiast

Nice, i voted up!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report