Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join lines in sketch

Join lines in sketch

Pretty simple - the opposite of the "split line" command. I've got two colinear lines with ends touching, and I want them to become one regular line so I can eliminate the extra nodes and snap to the midpoint.

Seems silly to have to redraw the lines instead of simply merging them.

AutoCAD has it, so it can't be that hard to implement.

20 Comments
schnautza
Advocate
timdown73
Collaborator

Good idea! I had to redraw a line just now because of this very issue. I hope your idea gets implemented.

jletcher
Advisor

Question why would you have two lines in the 1st place?

schnautza
Advocate

Have you never drawn something and had to go back and change it later?

In this example, I had drawn up a grid for use in frame generator to draw up beams. I had the lines joined end to end because I wanted multiple beams in a line - but later decided to merge some of them together.

Rather than tell frame generator to slect by line endpoints (personal preference is always selecting the line, not endpoints), I would like to go back into the sketch and simply join the lines that were previously split.

Make sense?

Again, it seems like such an easy thing to fix - and I'm personally blown away that this feature is missing.

jletcher
Advisor

Yes one time but never wish for a join line command just delete one line and then constrain the line left over to the place the deleted line was.

Frame gen I don't use tried it but I was faster just putting in my beams I have created. But that is me..

I had a race with a guy that uses it after he laughed at me for not using it lets just say he no longer laughs...

schnautza
Advocate

In my case, it usually means deleting both lines and replacing it with one, as well as adding several constraints back in. I might have 4 lines sharing an endpoint, so I would have to remove all constraints on the endpoint to be able to reconstrain it.

As far as frame generator - it is very useful when the desing process is still "fluid". Beam sizes and locations are constantly changing, and frame generator makes it much quicker to just change size or offset as needed.

Not to mention end treatments of notching - this saves me a lot of time in detailing the members instead of manually having to add cutout extrusions to cope my beams. We are talking about large platform assemblies with about 100 columns and beams running between every one of them.

But that's not important - I just want a "join" button!

jletcher
Advisor

I kind of have a feeling if they do this you will still lose the constraints because the end is no longer an end where you have the constraints if I understand you.

schnautza
Advocate

Pictures help - here are three lines all sharing an endpoint. (orange point indicates coincident constraint)

Two are colinear (parallel constraint) and one is perpendicularly constrained.

Untitled.png

Now I am going to replace the two lines with one line (if there was a join command, this would be the time to use it.) Manually adding this line required me to reconstrain it - but I don't think it would be difficult to make the "join" command automate this process by reading all existing constraints and tweaking them as needed. The parallel and horizontal constraints obviously went away because the two lines merged, and we are left with a perpendicular and coincident constraint as before. This time, the coincident constraint is not 3 endpoints connected, it is an endpoint being constrained to a line, as well as adding an offset dimension to the end of the line to maintain the same position (see the 2.000 dimension).

Untitled.png

There is no reason in my mind that this can't be automated. If a "split" function works without messing up constraints, why can't a "join" function be there?

timdown73
Collaborator

Bottom line (no pun intended) If there was enough reason to make a "split line" function, there's also enough reason for a "join line" function.

petestrycharske
Advisor

Another thing to consider is that you may be getting Inventor files from an outside source and they may have created "odd" line work that has to be corrected.  Instead of spending a whole bunch of time deleting, redrawing and reconstraining geometry, I could see where a join tool could come in handy.  Not sure if it is possible, but I throw my vote behind it.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Kurtis1
Explorer

Hey AutoCAD guy, this is Inventor. Forget how you do this is AutoCAD, it's not your native old school environment. What we have is an apples and oranges scenario. 

When inserting frame members, if you don't want multiple segments, "check" the merge box at the bottom right corner of the frame generator window.

luomakivi
Explorer

You can make a new sketch and:

Project geometry lines. Draw new contineus line as geometry. New line can be filled. But that's about it. But yes some line with all the time Line button down + fillets are permitted to legal path. If You hit line button second time it is a different path. In IV there is no "merge lines to polyline".

If You path is very difficult You must do Your best with spline. Practide two splines styles on blank sketch. First interpolation looks difficult to adjust, but notice you can change tangent of active handles. You can also constraint active point handles vertical, horizon, tangent...

If it's two frustrading  use control vertex Spline for path.

- Leo -

Grabcad.com/leo.kiviluoma/projects

jeff.90g
Community Visitor

Exactly my problem - I created a new sketch to project geometry but they were still seperate lines. Problem was the originals were seperate control vertex splines.... And now i think its interfering with my ability to filet.

hanafey
Advocate

I found what seems to be a very legitimate need for JOIN. A profile has mirror symmetry. Draw one half and mirror to get the other half. JOIN the lines that cross the mirror plane. Oops, there is no join command, yet (Inventor 2018).

Kurtis1
Explorer
Switched to KeyCreator, all my worries are gone 🙂
Kurtis1
Explorer
Switched to KeyCreator, all my worries are gone 🙂
ehjones
Observer

Is there no way to join lines sketching a mirror?

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

That's the theme of 2013. Is it so hard? What's happening? Do you have few programmers?

Solidworks he can do it since 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tuTMeFJMc

jellisQ54ZA
Explorer

I can't believe this join feature still does not exist after being proposed 8 years ago & having so many votes! Get it done Autodesk.

tokZ288S
Community Visitor

This is something that drive me crazy since I have start to work with inventor. Big shame that in 2024 join function is still not implemented in sketch mode. You can split line but you cant rejoin after few steps - shame.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report