Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jog/break option for dimension lines

Jog/break option for dimension lines

In AutoCAD there's an option to add a break to any dimension line, very helpful for general layouts and shortened reference dimensions. It appears in Inventor the only way to get this break to appear is using the break view...but when that's not applicable to the situation...

If you have a large assembly and want to show it's location in a room for instance or you need to show clearance heights to structure above, one can easily add sketched elments to the view to represent a portion of wall, a beam, etc.

But if you want to show the reference dimension to that point all you're going to get is a solid non-broken dimesnion line. So if you can override a dimension, why is there not an option to add a jog/break?

10 Comments
dfleury1
Observer

I surely hope this has been added, but in the 2018 inventor version, I can't seem to find how to accomplish a Dimbreak or and standard dimension single leg jog.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MrSmithtastic
Advocate

It'd also be really great to be able to break section lines about dimensions. Just any ability to control any lines actually. Like to add a jog to a leader after it's been placed rather than having to delete it completely and redo it just to add a jog. It's frustrating!

david.brandwood
Enthusiast

This was one of the many things I was gutted about especially with Inventor having come from from the same stable as AutoCAD

ellenberendt
Community Visitor

Can you please add the center for large radius when using jogged. This dim should show up as a break so I can keep my center

jingyi.liu
Alumni
jyager
Collaborator

Neither one of those is remotely related to what was requested?

Simon9
Advocate

Is this any closer to being implemented? It's available on other, good, CAD systems.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@Simon9, it looks similar with the idea https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/break-dimension/idc-p/11137084#M45090, right? And we are investigating it now. Thanks! 

Simon9
Advocate

@Yijiang.Cai, no, it's nothing like that.

smorrisonNY464
Participant

@Yijiang.Cai,

What we want is to have the function of the Place Views > Modify > Break command but applied to a dimension that is referencing a point (ie center point of a large radius) that ends up off our drawing sheet. We want the Jogged to have an option to bring the center point with it so that we can dimension to that center point without having to make the scale so small you can't see any details of your part.

Inventor Ideal Board_Jog-Break.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report