Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor print settings

Inventor print settings

I can't figure out why Inventor is set up the way it is for printing - there is a "Print Setup" and "Print". Both of these options have settings for plotters and paper size, but they don't seem to automatically read off of each other - i.e. I have to go in and set BOTH of these menus every time to the correct plotter and paper size or I end up with some unexpected plots.

Why not combine these into one dialogue box just like AutoCAD does?

Generally I plot 24x36 sheets, but I also print the same sheets scaled down to 11x17 on another printer, so I constantly have to switch my settings back and forth.

12 Comments
mrattray
Advisor

My problem is I plot my Layouts on 11x17 and most of my details on 8.5x11 from the same plotter. For some reason Inventor makes me change the paper size in both the "Print Setup" and "Print" dialogs, or I too, get funny plots. This was so annoying that one of the first things I did on coming to my current company was to write a printing macro. I made my own print dialog because Inventor's can't figure out what paper size the sheet is set to. Isn't that silly?

Anyways, good idea, schnautza.

CrAzY-MiKe
Collaborator

And here we are two years later and NOT ONE PEEP.

Nothing has changed, it is still a royal pain in the (pack animal euphemism).

paul.richardson
Explorer

Three years later, still nothing?...

CrAzY-MiKe
Collaborator

Yup @paul.richardson, no change whatsoever. I guess @mrattray had the right idea, composing the macro. I should do the same.

schnautza
Advocate

I ended up buying the SwiftPrints add-on and never looked back. The other guy in my office who uses Inventor followed suit shortly after.

Still, it's mind-boggling why something so simple requires third-party add-ins to be intuitive.

mrattray
Advisor
Here's a link to my print macro for those who's needs are not met by swift prints: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/print-drawings-from-a-vba-script/m-p/34538... Why can't I add links without HTML here?
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

CrAzY-MiKe
Collaborator

Thanks for keeping it around for 5 years. At this point, drawings are becoming obsolete, in favor of model based definitions (MDB). I started drafting paper and pencil, and have moved with the technology as it developed. Exciting times!

aschnautz
Enthusiast

5 years and not a peep from AutoDesk as to why there are two separate windows to change sheet size in before plotting. Unbelievable. Thank God for the Swift Prints add-in.

AlexZW28B
Advocate

Well, let's just make it a good 7 years... I just started using Inventor for new job, and wow... yup, they still apparently haven't figured printing issues out... Many buggy issues with printing in Inventor... such a waste of my time this program is... it is becoming apparent that I should lobby harder for my employer to do some switching. 

JBerns
Advisor

Eight years and no improvement to print setup.

I have searched at least two dozen forum posts and blogs that present methods to set paper size with automation, but none succeed for me. I ma using an HP PageWide printer and a Lanier printer.

If the Print Setup command can access the paper size in the printer driver, why can't iLogic or API also access it?

Regards,

Jerry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report