Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
42 Kudos
JamieVJohnson2

Inventor Printing - PDF Export - ALL PAGES

by Mentor on ‎01-25-2013 07:00 AM

When using the built in Print to PDF function in Inventor, or any other print function, the default option should be print all pages, not just current page.  Many times we work with multi sheet documents, and printing only current page as a default results in lots of messed up printouts.  Since the settings are not visible without pressing the options button (compare to MS Word 2010) we don't think about the trouble we are getting into until its too late. 

Thank you,

jvj

Accepted idea [US23191]. Thanks!
Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-25-2013 07:26 AM

Oh god yes.  PLEASE do this.  I waste a LOT of time re-exporting to PDF when I forget to set it to "all" vice "current" page.

by GUILLAUME.GARCIA on ‎01-30-2013 08:02 AM

If you print all pages by mistake because you don't go in the option button to change it, it wastes much more than a little time and 1 page of paper...

by Mentor on ‎01-30-2013 08:21 AM

When do you push the button by mistake? It opens a dialog page that has a small options button. Then you have to hit ok to print. That's 2 chances to get it right before you 'accidentally' send out a bunch of stuff to the printer. Besides, I'm not too interested in the Printer output as much as the PDF output (many digital files is not a waste of paper!!). Either way, if you handle the output much like MS Office, then you will not have a problem at all. In the attached image is a snap shot of the current MS Word print dialog with the options IN YOUR FACE, so you can see them, understand them, and not forget to modify them to fit. Notice it defaults to print all pages...

MSWordPrint.png

by Employee BryanKelley on ‎01-31-2013 12:55 PM

Hi Jamie,

Currently you can set this option within your template drawing file.  

1. Open up the file.
  2. Add in at least one more sheet,
  3. Go to the Print command.
  4. Change the Print range option to All sheets.
  5. Make any other modifications.
  6. Select OK.
  7. Save the file.

1-31-2013 12-31-39 PM.png

The next time you start a new drawing using that template; it will maintain the previously selected options.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Sr. Software QA Engineer

DLS – Mechanical Design 

by *Expert Elite* on ‎02-01-2013 11:52 AM

Brian, that's great for printing, but it doesn't help with PDF Export.

by Active Contributor NathanGMartin ‎02-06-2013 08:44 AM - edited ‎02-06-2013 08:45 AM

It almost seems like Autodesk has a proprietary secure digital media file format of thier own that they are trying to encourage users to export to rather than using Adobe's (TM) PDF.

...wait-

by Mentor ‎02-06-2013 08:55 AM - edited ‎02-06-2013 08:56 AM

If so, then they are fighting an uphill battle, however knowing Autodesk, they will just simply buy out Adobe, and make things into their own design.:smileyvery-happy:

jvj

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎03-25-2013 12:00 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

by tkanusky on ‎05-16-2013 03:26 PM

I would also like to see this enhancement.

by Valued Contributor spackle42 on ‎06-12-2013 09:41 PM

I'm in the same boat as Rusty.  Surely the default export action should be the entire drawing document, not just the active sheet.  Even just giving us a way to CHANGE the default would be a solid improvement.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube