Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Printing - PDF Export - ALL PAGES

Inventor Printing - PDF Export - ALL PAGES

When using the built in Print to PDF function in Inventor, or any other print function, the default option should be print all pages, not just current page.  Many times we work with multi sheet documents, and printing only current page as a default results in lots of messed up printouts.  Since the settings are not visible without pressing the options button (compare to MS Word 2010) we don't think about the trouble we are getting into until its too late. 

Thank you,

jvj

54 Comments
LT.Rusty
Advisor

Oh god yes.  PLEASE do this.  I waste a LOT of time re-exporting to PDF when I forget to set it to "all" vice "current" page.

GUILLAUME.GARCIA
Explorer

If you print all pages by mistake because you don't go in the option button to change it, it wastes much more than a little time and 1 page of paper...

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

When do you push the button by mistake? It opens a dialog page that has a small options button. Then you have to hit ok to print. That's 2 chances to get it right before you 'accidentally' send out a bunch of stuff to the printer. Besides, I'm not too interested in the Printer output as much as the PDF output (many digital files is not a waste of paper!!). Either way, if you handle the output much like MS Office, then you will not have a problem at all. In the attached image is a snap shot of the current MS Word print dialog with the options IN YOUR FACE, so you can see them, understand them, and not forget to modify them to fit. Notice it defaults to print all pages...

MSWordPrint.png

BryanKelley
Alumni

Hi Jamie,

Currently you can set this option within your template drawing file.  

1. Open up the file.
  2. Add in at least one more sheet,
  3. Go to the Print command.
  4. Change the Print range option to All sheets.
  5. Make any other modifications.
  6. Select OK.
  7. Save the file.

1-31-2013 12-31-39 PM.png

The next time you start a new drawing using that template; it will maintain the previously selected options.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Sr. Software QA Engineer

DLS – Mechanical Design 

LT.Rusty
Advisor

Brian, that's great for printing, but it doesn't help with PDF Export.

NathanGMartin
Enthusiast

It almost seems like Autodesk has a proprietary secure digital media file format of thier own that they are trying to encourage users to export to rather than using Adobe's (TM) PDF.

...wait-

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

If so, then they are fighting an uphill battle, however knowing Autodesk, they will just simply buy out Adobe, and make things into their own design.Smiley Very Happy

jvj

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

tkanusky
Participant

I would also like to see this enhancement.

spackle42
Advocate

I'm in the same boat as Rusty.  Surely the default export action should be the entire drawing document, not just the active sheet.  Even just giving us a way to CHANGE the default would be a solid improvement.

cbliss
Contributor

The PDF export from Inventor is currrently embarassing and I use PDFCreator instead.  It overcomes the problems with printting embedded graphics and documents.  The Autodesk export creates botchy images, whereas PDFCreator makes scaleable text and clear images.

If Autodesk is going to fix their PDF tool, it also needs to address the unaceptable image problems.

Shane.McCue
Community Visitor

I would like to add my thumbs up to this idea as well.  When exporting PDF files, I ALWAYS want all the sheets to go with the drawing.  

You should be able to select your default options (DPI, all sheets, etc.) and then never have to change them again.  

If I wanted to only export one sheet to PDF, I could then go into the options and switch it for that one drawing.

jamjumpin
Advocate

I rarely print a single page, I pretty much ALWAYS print all the pages.

The amount of times I've sent a drawing out wrong because of this is ridiculous. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-51204]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi everyone,

How would you feel if we provided a way for Inventor to remember and set the last used configuration "All Sheets" or "Current Sheet" as the default setting the NEXT time you went to export your IDW or DWG to PDF?

Likewise, would you want Inventor to remember that last used setting as default:
A. Forever (set it and forget it)

B. For that Inventor session only (next time you close/open Inventor it will reset to the legacy default setting "Current sheet")

C. For that drawing only (just to provide all options)

Please understand there just may be people out there who like it the way it is.  So if we change the out of box default we could potentially please 50% however upset the other 50%. 

I am interested in hearing if this would be ok.
Thanks

Dan

mrattray
Advisor

That would be OK with me, Dan, as long is it's option A. The other two are almost useless, in my opinion.

tkanusky
Participant

Option A

mikeh7
Collaborator

A would be my choice.

Thx

yannick3
Collaborator

I vote for A option

Hi,

I am new on forum contribution although I am a frequent reader becuase there is plenty of good information here.

I also vote for Option A.

Additionally I think remembering the other settings (All colors as black, Remove object line weights and Vector resolution) will be as helpful as remembering the All Sheets

In my case, I use a black background on the IDW and light colors for drafting and annotation and every time I want to export I have to change the setting to All colors as black. As a corporate policy we also set the Vector resolution to a specific value so this is also a parameter that we have to change all the time.

Hope to see this option available soon.

German Sacramento

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report