Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent Holes - iHole Tool

Intelligent Holes - iHole Tool

We have had various options for creating holes for a long time, but we have had little intelligence built into the tool.

The intelligence is quite simple logic, so could easily be coded.

If there is an unconsumed sketch or shared sketch visible with points, the hole tool automatically defaults to sketch mode.

If there aren't any sketches and the user picks a surface and then a circular edge of surface, the tool defaults to concentric

If the users picks a surface and then a straight edge, the tool defaults to linear

And so on ...

Seemples

Robot Happy

6 Comments
Rory_M
Advocate

Believe it or not but this is exactly how it works currently (in 2014)..

I didn't realise till fairly recently that you can pick a face and then a circular edge and it automatically switches to Concentric..

For years I'd been changing the pulldown before picking a face and then one day I realised that I didn't have to. I wonder when it actually changed? I don't remeber it ever being mentioned in a What's New but maybe I just missed it.

So based on your comments above, it all seems to work as you describe:

If I have and unconsumed sketch with points, the hole tool selects them automatically.

If I don't have a sketch and pick a face then a circular edge, it defaults to concentric.

If I don't have a sketch and pick a face and then a straight edge, it defaults to linear.

Hope this info is useful!

DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

Thanks Rory_M

I wasn't aware of this functionality.

Looking forward to using Inv 2014

Robot Frustrated

DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

Autodesk could add another bit of intelligence to the Hole tool.

When adding a threaded hole the tool could add the lead-in.

BS 3692:2001 describes this as 120°±10° (inclusive) and this is usually done to one pitch depth.

I have also come across instances when end treatments, such as; counter bore and countersink are needed at both ends.

Why not also add a raised face to the options as well?

LT.Rusty
Advisor

The functionality that Rory is describing is in 2013 as well.  Not sure how many versions further back, though.

DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

I've tried it in Inv 2012 and unknowingly it was there as well.

However, the other suggestions would also be helpful
Discussion_Ad
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report