Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
53 Kudos
Curtis_Waguespack

Improve Leader Text to Pull Subassembly iProperties

by *Expert Elite* ‎07-02-2013 10:18 AM - edited ‎07-02-2013 10:27 AM

In the drawing environment, we would like to be able to pull a leader by selecting a subassembly and have the text in the leader to display the subassembly iProperty (for the Description for example).

Currently when we change the the leader text to be look at Type = "Properties-Model" and Property= "Description", we get the description of the part within the subassembly, not the description of the subassembly. It is as if the subassembly BOM structure is set to Phantom. The workaround is to manually type in the text, but this is obviously not live data and is prone to causing mistakes.

It would be nice if there was an option to pull the iProperty from the subassembly file rather than just the part files.

Autodesk Inventor Subassembly Properties.png

Autodesk Inventor Subassembly Properties2.png

Related links:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Leader-to-a-referenced-part-in-an-assembly-idw/m-p/1...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Leader-Text-Question/m-p/3667398#M451818

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Using-properties-from-subassemblies-in-leader-text-o...

Comments
by Valued Contributor timdown73 on ‎07-03-2013 08:06 AM

I'd like to double kudo this idea!:smileyhappy:

by Mentor on ‎07-03-2013 09:11 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!. I have been trying to make this work each version of Inventor for a few years now. Please Autodesk - get your brightest to figure this one out.
by *Expert Elite* on ‎07-03-2013 12:42 PM

... and make sure there's a way there to pick which assembly or part you want to draw from.

... and if the text is in a sketch symbol, make sure that there's a way to set this property per sketch symbol, so I don't have to go back and edit each text box in each sketched symbol in each model, and save out 40 different versions of each one per drawing.

by Distinguished Contributor djreesing on ‎07-04-2013 12:02 AM

It would be nice if there would be an option for this to follow the BOM structure. The same as with normal item balloons but then it would be possible to use leaders or custom sketched symbols to extract iProperty information from these (sub)assemblies.

by Valued Contributor streharg on ‎07-26-2013 10:39 AM

I would love to see that!

iPorperties from sub assys and ¨their parts into idw!

Oh, and while doing that, just simple access to iproperty of main assembly/part of the idw would be nice!

by Distinguished Contributor DRoam on ‎08-02-2013 08:21 AM

I'd like to go even further and say that:

1. The part selection dropdown should be FIRST in the dialog box, and ll other dropdowns (Type, Property, Parameter, and Precision) should come from the part (or assembly) I select.

2. This should apply for leader notes AND standard text boxes.

This way, I have complete control over what I'm trying to say with a note. I can point to one part and say "<DESCRIPTION of part pointed to> is flush with <DESCRIPTION of part I selected from drop-down>". I could include assembly parameters or part parameters, anything I need that will update automatically to convey the proper information. Currently if I want to say something about a component that's not pointed to by a leader, I have to type static text which, as Curtis pointed out, is prone to causing mistakes.

by dsponholz on ‎09-04-2013 08:53 AM

I too really need a solution for this.  Does anyone know of a workaround, or an iLogic solution to acomplish this?

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-02-2014 02:47 PM

Prior to this thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Assembly-Property-in-an-idw/m-p/4930550#U4930550

I never knew this was an issue.  I guess when you don't ever use this kind of functionality you don't know.

This idea makes perfect sense.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube