Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
48 Kudos
bill.baker

Importing material libraries from matweb

by bill.baker on ‎06-13-2014 06:51 AM

I would like to see Inventor accept material libraries directly from external sources like MatWeb.  Their website indicates they exports for Autodesk Simulation products but not Inventor.  There are a whole lot more Inventor users out there.  A direct export would save the potential of hand-typing in each new material that a user wants to add to their custom library.  See clip from their website below:

MatWeb 01.png

Solidworks users converting to Inventor look for this feature if they have used it in the past.  Many thanks for your consideration!

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-25-2014 09:33 AM

I am all over this one.  Except I am not sure this is exclusively Autodesk Inventors problem.  MatWeb shares some of this as well.  I called MatWeb about 3 years ago and they said there were not any plans to make there materials convertible into Inventor.  Having been a former SW user, I would down load materials from here all the time.  Now, I just find the material and print out the spec sheet and create it.  Either way, I remember in SW even if the material was downloaded into SW format, there was still some cutting and pasting to get the new material into the existing SW material file.  So, not sure if there would be a faster way then what I described above I currently do, but I am open to listening.  :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube