Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing material libraries from matweb

Importing material libraries from matweb

I would like to see Inventor accept material libraries directly from external sources like MatWeb.  Their website indicates they exports for Autodesk Simulation products but not Inventor.  There are a whole lot more Inventor users out there.  A direct export would save the potential of hand-typing in each new material that a user wants to add to their custom library.  See clip from their website below:

MatWeb 01.png

Solidworks users converting to Inventor look for this feature if they have used it in the past.  Many thanks for your consideration!

5 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

I am all over this one.  Except I am not sure this is exclusively Autodesk Inventors problem.  MatWeb shares some of this as well.  I called MatWeb about 3 years ago and they said there were not any plans to make there materials convertible into Inventor.  Having been a former SW user, I would down load materials from here all the time.  Now, I just find the material and print out the spec sheet and create it.  Either way, I remember in SW even if the material was downloaded into SW format, there was still some cutting and pasting to get the new material into the existing SW material file.  So, not sure if there would be a faster way then what I described above I currently do, but I am open to listening.  Smiley Happy

Generic
Advocate

This could be a huge selling point for Inventor if Autodesk would collaborate with the governing bodies out there.

How many of us re-invent the wheel by populating a custom material library with well documented industry standard materials?

I want an ASME Section II-D library, an ASTM libarary, and a werkstoff library for my European counterparts.

oscarohn
Participant

should be as easy as if you open the materials tab and the matereal you need is not there, you can clik a button to seartch for new materials. 

matereals is also brand names sutch as strenx(weldox), hardox, triten 

I use hardox and strenx alot and the only thing that is right in the material is the wheight and the brand name, not good

SmithKL
Participant
My annoyance is that the material specifications are already available in other Autodesk products, such as Robot structural analysis. Why are they not included in Inventor?
dl
Community Visitor
Community Visitor

We prefer an access of the material database to our own SQL-Database. So we can define the materials we want and use and no more. We don't like the process of import because we don't want a reimport for updates. It must be automatically.

But also important is a local material database for external use without network access.

So I think, we wish a synchronize solution with offline support, too.

Greetings

Kai Deutschländer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report