Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify source of projected geometry in sketches

Identify source of projected geometry in sketches

I would like to RMB on the projected curve and have the option to highlight or name the source feature in the tree.

Very often I have to edit models with very long and complicated trees.  Sketches often have projected geometry from other sketches or edges that were consumed far up in the tree.  Identifying the source of the projected curve can often be very difficult. 

11 Comments
timdown73
Collaborator

It's difficult for sure.  I avoid projecting sketches as much as possible just for that reason.

jtylerbc
Mentor

Also, for adaptive projections from in-place edits in assemblies, would be great to extend this idea to also identifiying the source part.

SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration
Nice idea. [US14253]
FProcp
Collaborator

:smileyvery-happy: I totally agree with this. It can be so so so difficult to edit a projected curve/line when you cannot remember which sketch it was projected from. Especially if working on a model created by someone else.

I would also like to RMB on the projected curve and have the option to highlight or name the source feature in the tree or in a drop-down menu or something.

I don't like using projected edges for this sole reason. They are very difficult to edit later because it's hard to find the parent/source sketch/feature they are driven by.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

This project [US14253] is under review by the development team.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-79299]. Thanks!

timdown73
Collaborator

Please make this happen!

terje.antonsen
Advocate

Accepted in 2013, but still not happened? I thought I read somewhere that we will finally get this in Inventor 2016, but not so?

timdown73
Collaborator

Installing 2016 soon, I'll let you know.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. This idea has been solved via two approaches within Autodesk Inventor 2017; 1) the Relationship command available within parts and 2) the enhancements to cross-part references within assemblies. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

terje.antonsen
Advocate

Thank you, and good work, dan!! this is very good news. Could you go into a little detail about how it functions? If I have a single part open, I suppose I can RMB a projected curve, and "show source", what will happen? will it open the assembly and highlight the source edge momentarily (like "analyze interference" does? What will happen from within an assembly?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report