Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify assembly constraint targets

Identify assembly constraint targets

While working deep within an assembly, sometimes it is difficult to identify target parts to assign constraints.  If multiple parts are overlapping, the target geometry options you have to select from are listed and the part geometry are highlighted.

It would be helpful to not only list the geometry options, but have the part names included so you know which part is being selected.  It would save time not having to temporarily hide multiple parts to isolate the target part.

Name of part not shown when constraining 2.png

6 Comments
mikeh4
Collaborator

To take it a little bit different direction.  What if you can hit CTRL or ALT and roll the wheel and it will roll through the different ipts/iams that are stacked up and then release control and can wheel through that parts features?  File name wouldn't do a whole lot for us as everything has a part number and if there's 1000 instances we don't know the numbers.  Visual is so much more powerful.

Thx

Yes. I like the idea of scrolling the mouse wheel to cycle through options. The trick would be to do it so that the highlighted part(s) are easily identifiable and discernable from the others within the list.

Stephen R.
jletcher
Advisor

May I ask why pick part first will not work for you?

When you use that and select other it only highlights the part faces of the part you picked or if you picked an assembly it only cycles those parts and faces in the select other....

Pre-selecting is exactly what should not be needed. And in most instances, pre-selecting is more time consuming than Inventor presenting the options in a more complete or different way.

Stephen R.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't this be accomplished by using the isolate command to remove other parts or would that prevent you from grabbing the right set of parts?

Hello,

My improvement idea is not having to isolate parts and providing more target part data (part name). Another user suggested adding a way to cycle through the overlapping parts which I think would be excellent. Inventor has the information already, presenting more information and possible cycle highlight would make selecting quicker.

Thank you,
Stephen R.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report