Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change icon of fully constraint parts in assembly

Change icon of fully constraint parts in assembly

I hate to say it, but SolidWorks has different icons in the browser for fully constraint parts and parts that has some degrees of freedom left...

I would like to have that also within Inventor.

It is a usefull feature and (ex-) SolidWorks engineers ak me all the time, how in Inventor, they can easily see, if a part is fully constraint.

The "Degrees of Freedom" feature doesn't work with large assemblies. It would be nice, if you can see it in the browser.

See a suggestion how it can look in the attachment.

79 Comments
jhunt107
Enthusiast

It would be great if the Degrees of Freedom (DoF) glyph was displayed when you place a component.

More importantly the DoF glyphs should stay on until you turn it off. I've edit a part then returned to the assembly and it doesn't display the DoF.

Tags (1)
cgusi
Enthusiast

It's very good recognize components in assembly that have DOF=0. It may be realised changing icon in browser like full constraint sketch.

b.graaf
Advocate

This one would be very great!

I got this question a lot from (ex-) SolidWorks customers!!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

tbennett
Advocate

It isn't just SolidWorks.  Most programs can give a mate indication in the tree.  I like the white circle (no mates), half white circle (partially mated), black circle (fully mated); sort of like in the Consumer Reports reviews.

SolidWorks uses a plus sign and a minus sign but doesn't have any indicator for partial mates.

Stay away from color coding unless you do your homework.  Never ever use red and green to distinguish between anything.  Red/green is the most common type of color "blindness".

hjsong
Participant

Inventor can not degrees of freedom are fully constrained have either been released or do a direct confirmation from the browser tree.

However, in Solidworks, it is possible as shown in the following figure, in the tree pane of the browser to check the status of the degrees of freedom and restraint.

(F) sign is a symbol restraint,

(-) Sign, symbol have some degree of freedom

If there is no restraint, display is not a symbol.

Thus, there is a feature that allows even Inventor, to confirm the degree of freedom of each component of the browser tree ..

11. assy 자유도 형태 표시.JPG

DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

other options might be; bold, italised, underlined or coloured part names in the browser

HTHs

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [30664]. Thanks!

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I'm not against this idea but it would be better if the 'Degrees of Freedom' glyphs were improved in the graphic window.

DoF should automatically be visible when placing a component.

A display toggle that makes full constrained parts mostly transparent or a specific color.

The limitation of the browser icon is you need to scroll through all of them to check the assembly.

b.graaf
Advocate

@ JHUNT107:

You are right with scrolling through the long browser list.

But the opposite is also true: If you only have "DOF glyphs" and you have a large assembly with a lot of (smaller) parts, it is difficult to see which part the glyph belongs to.

Perhaps, it shuold be a combination of both of them and perhaps there are still other ideas. For example, a list or something with not-fully constraint parts.

I only know, that a lot of SolidWorks engineers say, thay are missing the browser icon.

But I do not say, the browser icon is the only or the best idea.

Main point is, it would be nice to see, if and which parts have still degrees of freedom left.

Since the idea is accepted, I hope the Autodesk devs come with a nice solution!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Hello, this is a duplicate Idea. The Master idea can be found here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Change-icon-of-fully-constraint-parts-in-assembly... Please cast your kudos to the Master Ideas as to not split them. Thanks! -Dan
tv1962
Contributor

Show when in assembly a part is fully constrained in model tree.

Baishihu
Advocate

I like this idea.

swc132994
Participant

A few features in the feature tree would be helpful for showing underconstrained parts.

• It would be good to be able to see straight from the feature tree which feature have undercontrained sketches in a part.
  • In assemblies being able to see under constrained parts would also be a bonus.

I have used a few 3D CAD systems which show symbols next to the feature or part to show weather it is constrained or not.

Tags (1)
gusi_cl
Advocate

Please add a new symbol when a component in an assebly is full constrained (DOF=0)

E.G.

hotpoint.PNG

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello, this is a duplicate Idea. The Master idea can be found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation​/Change-icon-of-fully-constraint-parts-in-assembl...

Please cast your kudos to the Master Ideas as to not split them. Thanks! -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello, this is a duplicate Idea. The Master idea can be found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation​/Change-icon-of-fully-constraint-parts-in-assembl...

Please cast your kudos to the Master Ideas as to not split votes. Thanks! -Dan

JimmyDoe
Collaborator

It would be nice if there would be a symbol in the model browser next to any parts or assemblies that are not fully constrained, just like there is a pin icon shown when a part is grounded.

Tags (3)
JimmyDoe
Collaborator

It would be nice if there would be a symbol in the model browser next to any parts or assemblies that are not fully constrained, just like there is a pin icon shown when a part is grounded and parts/assemblies that are suppressed have a strikethrough.

Tags (3)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello, I am changing the status of this idea to Duplicate. The Master idea has been accepted and contains an image.  It can be found here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation​​/Change-icon-of-fully-constraint-parts-in-assemb... Please cast your kudos to the Master Ideas as to not split them. Thanks! -Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report