Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW sketched area hatching

IDW sketched area hatching

Inventor knows when a sketched boundary can not be hatched within an IDW.  The most likely cause is a non-continuity within the sketched area which does not make a complete perimeter.  Since Inventor knows that it can't create the hatch, it would be great for the software to highlight or give visual indicators for the areas where the dis-continuity(s) are at.

5 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

You have that already. When in sketch Right click and run Sketch Doctor and it will show you all errors..

Hi Jletcher, thank you for the tip.  I dont think I explained clearly what my situation is.  In the IDW screen capture below, there is a discontinuity.  It is very hard to find.  For larger perimeters that you want to create hatched areas for, it can be very time consuming to hunt down the tiny areas that are missing.

sketch outline.png

So here is my workflow:

When working on an IDW view, you can highlight the view and create an associative sketch.  Within the sketch, you can project existing geometry of an area so that you may hatch it.  When manually projecting geometry, it is difficult to do when there are very small segments that are hard to see.  So after projecting the geometry and starting the hatch command, Inventor will not highlight the perimeter to indicate it will hatch if it is not completely enclosed.  So since Inventor knows it can not create the hatch, it should be able to let you know where the problem(s) are located.

I do not get a right click option for sketch doctor while in an IDW sketch nor is the red cross lit up.

Thanks again,

Stephen R.

jletcher
Advisor

No I understand exactly what you are asking..

There will be no red cross because it does not know of an error to turn red. You projected the geometry so as far as it knows it is what you asked for it ..

When you are in the sketch mode after you projected what you want  left click in an area off of the view then right click you cannot be in the view it will give you differernt options if you are in the view. See pics.

Options in view

option1.JPG

Option off view

option2.JPG

Sketch1.JPG

Sketch2.JPG

error.JPG

Hope this helps...

Excellent, thank you for that explanation.  It works great and is very helpful.

Not being able to invoke the sketch doctor while on a view is not good, but now that I know, I just added it to my right click menu.

Thanks again,

Stephen R.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report