Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Number from Parts List as an Available Property

Item Number from Parts List as an Available Property

Here's one that I've had requests for several times.

You have an assembly view on a drawing and place a parts list for that view.  Now, you want to place several base views of individual parts for detailing.  Along with each part view, you want the corresponding item number from the parts list.

I know you can edit the view label to include model properties, such as the part name, material, etc, but there's no way to link the item number from the parts list to that part.  It would be nice to link that part to the corresponding item number in the parts list and if the parts list is renumbered, the item numbers associated with each part view would update accordingly.

I've tried placing a balloon and selecting the individual part, but it will only use "1" as the item number, since it is just a component and not an assembly.  Perhaps, when adding a balloon to a part like this, you could select the parts list that you want to reference.  Many times, you may have several sheets of details and still want the item numbers to reference the parts list on sheet 1, where the main assembly view and parts list is located.

67 Comments
timdown73
Collaborator

Totally agree! 

MDS-MQ
Advocate

The Bill Of Material editor has had the Item number in it since it was introduced...

If you really wanted to fill in the item No. at the model stage then us a custom I Porperty.

EScales
Advocate

This does not do what I am describing.  I want the ITEM column in the Parts List to be a property that can be added in a string of text or in the view label.  If I do what you suggested, the renumbering of the parts list does not update the user property.

ashley.walker
Enthusiast

YES! It's the little things like this that would make it better.

mrattray
Advisor

Include quantities while your at it. Some shops arn't manufacturer's, they're fabricators. Fabricators need to be able to reference the quantity of a part in a particular assembly in the part's detail. Right now I have to use a convoluted error prone reach around to accomplish this.

maartenverbunt
Enthusiast

Yes, this would be a great feature to have. I have seem many drawings go wrong due to the lack of this feature. People just tent to add this information manually, witch in many ways is asking for problems. Same goes for 'text' parameters, it would be awsome to be able to use them in an idw as well.

jtylerbc
Mentor

My company is one of the "fabricator" types, and something like this would be extremely useful for us.  I've been looking into some iLogic code that achieves this, but it would be great if this were built-in functionality for at least weldment assemblies.

I've read several discussion threads about similar ideas, and one common question that comes up is "What about parts used in multiple assemblies?"  I see two ways of handling this issue:

1)  The situations where people want to use this are often in cases where the parts won't be reused anyway (frame components, fabricated steel plate structures, etc).  It could probably do what most people would want it for, even if it only worked for a single assembly.

2)  The item number and/or quantities could be inserted into the part file as custom iProperties, and the names of the properties could include the name of the governing assembly, ex. "ASSY-12345 ITEM#" and "ASSY-12345 QTY".  The user would then simply have to pick the relevant assembly's property when inserting the information into view labels, notes, etc.

smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

HughBIM
Contributor

In an IDW or DWG we have assembly layouts that include single part details. When the part detail is generated from the part file and not from the assembly we dont have association with the assembly BOM/parts List. We would like to include the Parts List "Item" number in the view identifier for the part.

The part details can of course be isolated by using view representations in the Assembly model but this can be an admin nightmare when there is constant change.

The detailing of an assembly followed by the part details in "sheets" is quite common practice for fabrication purposes and the ability to associate part views identifiers with an assembly parts list item would save a lot of time.

Tags (3)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review
As Adam previously stated, this project [US14620] is under review by the development team.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
Hello, This idea has already been reported on the Idea Station. Please see the other listing (link below) and assure you cast your kudo for it. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Item-Number-from-Parts-List-as-an-Available-Prope... This project [US14620] is under review by the development team. Likewise please hesitiate from casting additional kudos to this idea as it will split the "votes". Thanks -Dan
jerodharbert
Enthusiast

And......Please add "View Reps" and "Position Reps" as an option to the view label.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [6049]. Thanks!

timdown73
Collaborator

Please make this idea happen.   It's fundamental.

rms390
Enthusiast

That will be a feature in 2015, and it will be in the most expensive version.  Thanks Autodesk.

rfletcher
Contributor

If you can't wait until 2015 for this feature here is a work around.

Instead of placing a base view of your part for the detail views place a base view of the entire assembly, but select preparation on the model state tab.

Once you select preparation if will give you a list of all the individual parts in your assembly. Find the one you want, place it into the drawing and use a balloon to call out the part. 

We've created a balloon style to make the balloon for our detail views larger. Once we place the balloon we grab the tip of the leader and pull it back into the balloon, so there is no leader visible. 

Hope that helps.

Randall

2013-11-14_0845.png

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

When creating notes and instructions on a drawing you often want to refer to the item numbers on the parts list but you can not access the item number properties so you have to just type in a number the problem with this is if the numbers change for some reason on the parts list the notes are now incorrect. So I propose that you can access this within format text so they are linked.8.JPG

karthur1
Mentor
kevinb
Advocate

While it would be nice, I don't see how you could program it to intelligently reference part numbers as it's a changable number.  What might be a better way is the ability to call notes associated with a part file or the assembly referencing a certain part.  This way, it could be attached to the ipt file so that you could then break it off into a "note" table or something.

EScales
Advocate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report