Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Scroll in browser to selected part

Auto Scroll in browser to selected part

It would be a nice option if the browser automatically scrolled to the part I have selected, rather than having to click "Find in browser".  The selected part already highlights in the browser but if you happen to be north or south of it in the browser you have to click "Find in browser".  Instead, just make the browser scroll to the highlighted part.  Have this as an auto-scroll option that could be turned on or off.

35 Comments
SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Comments Requested
We select things as you cruise your mouse (i.e. preview) I assume you wouldn't want that because the browser would be jumping and flashing like crazy. So let's assume it only works on "final" selection (left mouse click). Some questions: How does it handle multiple selections (window or control click)? They might not be on the same "page" of the browser. Does it work for all selections that have a browser equivalent? (Features, work geometry, etc.)
timdown73
Collaborator

Thanks so much for considering my idea!

I hadn't considered multiple selections when I posted the idea, but I have listed some possible suggestions below.

• (Correct, this would be a left click final selection function.)  
  • For multiple selections...If you already have the browser tree expanded when you start selecting multiple objects, the tree would autmatically collapse to fit more of the selected objects in the window.
  • If you have the tree collapsed when you begin selecting multiple objects it would expand as needed to include them in the window.
  • I suppose it could work for any browser equivalent item, though that wasn't my original intent but why not.Smiley Happy
  • I also think it's critical that this be an option that the user could turn on or off.
  • Capture1.JPG
japike
Collaborator

When a component is selected in the graphics window, it is hightlighted in the browser. However, if the component is in an unexpanded browser folder it still can't be found. When a component is selected in the graphics window and is in an unexpanded folder, please hightlight the folder.

Tags (2)
Cadmanto
Mentor

To further elaborate on this, not only would I like to see this sub component highlighted, how about instead of just making the component red boxed in to show something like a yellow highlight.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [740]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

I believe this request has already been captured within the comments of an accepted Idea [US-173123] - found here.

"Browser tree" would also include browser folders.
Therefore I am marking this a duplicate. Please continue to cast kudos to the parent idea. Thanks!
-Dan

japike
Collaborator
While US4559 is an interesting idea, I'm concerned that it won't cover what I'm looking for. I use browser folders to organize my browser and often don't need to scroll to find a component because of that. However, when a part is in a folder it doesn't highlight in the browser when selected in the graphics window, so, it's difficult to find. If you would expand the folder and then highlight the component, I would buy it - but, just scolling does nothing for me.
timdown73
Collaborator

Hello japike,

I completely agree.  Folders should open and highlight selected parts.  In the [US4559] "Browser tree" Idea that I posted, I posted a reply that touched on expanding the tree...

• For multiple selections...If you already have the browser tree expanded when you start selecting multiple objects, the tree would autmatically collapse to fit more of the selected objects in the window.
  • If you have the tree collapsed when you begin selecting multiple objects it would expand as needed to include them in the window.
  • I suppose it could work for any browser equivalent item, though that wasn't my original intent but why not.:smileyhappy:

I would hope that your idea would be incorporated into this request as well.  I do not use folders as much as I should but when I do, I would want them to expand/open and highlight the parts that I have selected.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hey guys, fear not - your browser folder functional requests have been captured within the Master / Parent idea [US-173123].  Thanks! -Dan

timdown73
Collaborator

Very cool.  Thanks!

crmayo
Advocate

In assemblies, I would like the model tree to automatically center the component you have selected.  I use find in browser, this would just be faster.

Automatic find in browser.jpg

Tags (3)
mikeh7
Collaborator

Or at least when we do a right click find in browser.  Wish of mine for years.

jletcher
Advisor

As long as it is an option. I don't want it to be a default.

Most clients like to arrange the browsers:

Assemblies

Standard parts

Sheet Metal

Purchase Parts

Client Parts

etc.....

It would be a mess for those that arrange the browser..

crmayo
Advocate

jletcher, this is idea would perform an automatic find in browser every time you select a part/assembly in model space.  It wouldn't move/rearrange any components in the model tree.

jletcher
Advisor

crmayo,

Oh OK I most have miss read it sounded to me like you wanted the part to move my bad..

Then yes love the idea kudos given...

timdown73
Collaborator

Not sure if this is exactly the same as what you are requesting but here's what I requested a while back.  I'll kudo either way.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Auto-Scroll-in-browser-to-selected-part/idi-p/372...

timdown73
Collaborator

Cool model by the way.Smiley Happy

crmayo
Advocate

That is the same idea, sorry - didn't find it in my search.  Good to see that it's been accepted, nice work Tim!

SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Couple more comments since I saw there was a duplicate created. This would probably not be enabled for Express mode because expanding in the browser will cause documents to be sucked into memory and defeat the purpose of Express mode, which for selection seems overkill. Express mode works best with EXPLICIT user actions. Many selections (faces, edges, etc.) do not have browser equivalents and could not work for this obviously.
timdown73
Collaborator

Fair enough.  Thanks for the update, and again thanks for considering the idea and listening to the user base.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report