Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give us a date

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
stevec781
556 Views, 9 Replies

Give us a date

I see lots of ideas as accepted but no date when they will be implemented.  How about stating when they will be implemented.

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi stevec781 ,

As a rule of thumb, Autodesk typically does not comment about the software until very close to the release date. There are a whole host of business reasons why they can not discuss specifics of future releases and dates in particular. But if you sign in at the Community Feedback portal and sign up for the Beta testing program, you might get a peak behind the scenes on some of this.

https://beta.autodesk.com/oid/login.html

https://beta.autodesk.com/faq/

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 10
dan_szymanski
in reply to: stevec781

Hello Steve, I respect the nature of this request & wish we could comply. There are a number of legal ramifications that permit us from disclosing the requested information. As Curtis stated, partnering with us in Beta opportunities sometimes provides a sneak preview of what is to come and or what we are working on. We will continue to review idea submissions posted here and likewise modify their status once the functionality is available within a released version of the product. Thanks & regards, Dan
Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 10
stevec781

That's unfortunate.

From the perspective of someone that values my time I do not have the time nor the desire to join a beta program and work for free.

From the perspective of a business owner, in deciding what is the best tool fo rmy business, if I see a solution that is only 1 release away then it makes sense to stay with Inventor, but if I have to wait 5 releases for functionality that other CAD already has, then it makes sense to switch if we dont know how long we have to wait.

Message 5 of 10
dgorsman

Consider this: they commit to implementing new feature "X" in the next release.  But in the meantime, another user has found a major flaw in the program.  Do they put resources towards implmenting new feature "X" and have users yell at them for not fixing a major problem?  Or do they put the resources towards fixing the flaw and have other users yell at them for not implementing something they consider critical to the workflow?  I know, I know - "Do both!" I hear.  But those resources are limited, just as our resources are limited as to not as-building projects, not updating old files to make them "correct"/passing it on to another company, and so on.  Project management: the necessary evil.

User feedback is imperative in the software design process. This is especially true with not-for-hire creations.  We cannot simply abdicate responsibility and demand "Make it work!" without telling the devlopers what constitutes "work", otherwise the developers will only be guessing around what those needs are.  And you can bet those guesses will be further away from user requirements than when there *is* feedback.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 10
stevec781

Not at all.  In 2012 they failed to deliver thin elemenets in FEA as expected, they just said it wasnt ready and released it in 2013. No one complained.  http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0000-What's_N0/0039-Simulati39

Setting a target and making it public, even if missed is better than having no idea.

And I dont see what the big secret is, its not as if they are leading the industry, most ideas I see are from users that have had that functionality in something else. 

The notion that they would stop development to fix bugs makes me laugh.  If only!

Message 7 of 10
MDS-MQ

Well we are talking about AutoDesk. They only do stuff that they think will sell them new seats by the looks of things. Fixing problems doesn't sell new seat. They have all use cumps giving them money evey year. why try to keep us happy. They want new unhappy customers.

Message 8 of 10

For what it's worth, the comment at the the provided link about the Beta program is actually a violation of the beta agreement and should not have been allowed to be posted publicly.

I think Peter_Maxfield_Autodesk might have viloated his own company's policy.Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 10
scottmoyse

Dan,

While I understand where you & autodesk are coming from, this Ideastation is cannibalizing itself. As more and more ideas have their status changed to accepted. The meaning/value of an idea being accepted becomes diluted. There needs to be more transparency here while maintaining the required degree of protection for Autodesk. 

Cheers

Scott.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 10 of 10
dgorsman

I wouldn't mind seeing the "accepted" ideas being moved to a separate holding list with the number of kudos being locked down but still open for more comments.  Use the IdeaStation for churning out the up-and-coming ideas.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report