Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
16 Kudos
jhunt107

Full control over UCS placement

by Contributor jhunt107 on ‎11-07-2012 08:12 AM

UCS placement is not flexible and vastly inferior to ACAD. You are forced to pick Origin > Point/Vertex for X-axis > Point/Vertex of Y-axis. 

We need the option to specify axes, planes, center point of the UCS parallel or perpendicular to other planes/faces, axes, or points.

Currently, 2013, you can't define direction of the Z-axis at all.

Comments
by *Pro ‎11-09-2012 06:18 AM - edited ‎11-09-2012 06:18 AM

Why, I have been using Inventor from version 1 and I have never had issues to change this it much easier than Autocad.

I can control x,,y,z with the plane I pick to start my base.

Keep Autocad out of inventor If you want autocad functions use autocad.

by Contributor jhunt107 on ‎11-11-2012 02:21 PM

jletcher,

I use Inventor because it's parametric and AutoCAD is not (aside from a few new features). I want to define what the axis is parallel or perpedicular to so the UCS adjusts as the model does. I want UCSs in Inventor because they are useful as a Constaint Set in the assembly environment.

I hope that clarifies my idea.

by *Pro on ‎11-12-2012 08:00 AM

All I am saying is X,Y,Z, does not matter as much in inventor as it did autocad. This is what you should be letting them know. I know it is hard to convert autocad users to Inventor. But when they play with it more and more they will see the way of Inventor. Instead of converting Inentor into autocad. And if you can't I have a link that will let you have parametric in autocad.

by Employee on ‎04-03-2013 12:12 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Distinguished Contributor DWhiteley on ‎10-23-2013 01:52 AM

Also when editing the roation angle of a UCS, it is the wrong way round!

by Active Contributor JoeBarnes4076 on ‎10-24-2013 08:46 AM

At a very basic level a UCS defines an alternate point location and orientation that is different than the default origin.   This is similar to a Work Point but includes an orientation.  You should be able to define a UCS SEVERAL different ways using existing geometry.  The current UCS can only be defined in two ways, Offset and 3-Point which barely get you by.

Creation methods for UCS’s should “at least” include what is used to define a simple Work Point.

Possible Uses

Importing Geometry - You should be able to Import neutral geometry to a location other than the default origin.  Simple prompt to select alternate UCS or accept origin

CAM setup locations – Some components may need up to 6 CAM setup locations which can be defined by a UCS. 

Derived Components - A UCS could be used to specify how derived solid bodies are located into their individual part files.  Should also be able to include a UCS in the derive.

Assembly Configurators - Imagine only needing a single constraint to place something in the correct location and orientation. (The constraint set should actually be only a single constraint not 3 flush constraints).  Say you are laying out a plant full of equipment.  At the top level layout you have a simple sketch on the floor defining the centerlines of product flow.  UCS’s are placed with respect to the sketch to define the location of each piece of equipment.  Sounds like Factory Design Suite, but what if you don’t have a floor to base everything from. 

At the equipment level you may have several configurable sub-systems. (Infeed, outfeed, hoist, table, frame, upper beam, lower beam, elevator, etc…)  Each sub system has its own defined placement and orientation separate from all other sub-systems in the context of the assembly.  When replacing a configurable item, would you rather replace 3-constraints or only ONE.

Note: The majority of my background is in a different 3D parametric modeler not AutoCAD.  You can go a long way without UCS’s, but they could be very useful.   Unfortunately I see this Idea as a request to complete a partially implemented feature. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube