Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator - Notch With A Gap

Frame Generator - Notch With A Gap

When Notching one frame member to another, there is no option to have a gap between the two members. In our line of manufacturing, there must be at least a 1/8" gap for fittiment and welding.

29 Comments
3D4Play
Collaborator

YES! Not only a gap, but modifications to the notch, such as a fillet. Our notch setback is typically 1/2", and they are filleted at the back end (end of notch away from the mating member). In order to accomplish this I have to do a separate sketch and cut/extrude on the frame member, whcih sometimes goes whacked when the frame member changes (not always though).

maartenverbunt
Enthusiast

Yes, another great addition to the frame generator.

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

This project [US-49976] is under review by the development team.

cbenner
Mentor

Would like the ability to set a gap on Notches, the same way you can on a trim.  See picture below.  Our welders leave a gap for these bolted in pieces, but I want the option to still be able to model them as part of a Frame Generator assembly, and add the gap when producing the notch.

gap.JPG

Tags (1)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [391]. Thanks!

schnautza
Advocate

See this discussion for some pictures and workarounds that we discussed.

Basically, the notch function needs some reworking to allow for gaps between members. When you notch a beam to fit in another beam, you don't want the webs or flanges to touch - you need some clearance!

The workaround that I had to come up with was creating iparts for all of my common structural steel and inserting a notch profile, then importing these members into the content center - this seems completely unneccessary and ought to be an automatic function.

Tags (2)
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Don't forget to search before sumbitting an idea. Smiley Wink

This idea has been accepted as a future improvement:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Frame-Generator-Notch-With-A-Gap/idi-p/3698722

I gave this one vote just the same though. Smiley Happy

Search results:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=idea-b...

schnautza
Advocate

My apologies - I searched everything on the discussion boards but didn't think to search the ideas.

GGB_Allied
Contributor

How about an option to quickly detail the notch dims... Especially if you have an oddball notch

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

The Ability to offset a notch for frame generator

16.JPG

benhetherington1
Community Visitor

This needs to happen!!

andreas.ajax
Explorer

When notching a frame member there should be an option to create a distance between the two members. This is only possible when doing a trim or miter. To me this is kind of strange since the need for distance is far more important when using notch. There is no way that i would cut something to the exact shape of another frame member and thinking it will fit when welding it.

We normally use a step-file for cutting the frame member in a laser cutting machine so the measurements is pretty exact.

Tags (3)
BorisGorbulenko
Enthusiast

I think it is a very useful option for my everyday work

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Changing status to Duplicate.  Please cast your kudo to the Master Idea here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/frame-generator-notch-with-a-gap/idi-p/3698722

as to not split the votes.  Thanks! -Dan

kata656
Contributor

This is not just nice to have, it is essential for structural design.

mmiller
Contributor

Here is a perfect example of why this is needed:

I have a structural skid design that I am finalizing right now and we are using a combination of 6x12 and 6x15 wide flange beam. The height of the beams are different by about 1/32 of an inch. This is not enough to matter in the real world of welding, but on the drawing when showing individual beam details you get some funky cut details that are not realistic (see below.) If I could set a 1/16 inch offset on the notch, then this would be solved:

notch 1.JPG

notch 2.JPG

yannick3
Collaborator

Hi

did you try with custom notch?

i think this option should help you but you must create your own custum notch sketch and to do that you must create your own beam library read and write permission

I created mine: i create 2  new family for each kind of beam I and W , channel and angle, one family with standard notch with soft modification and the other family my custom noth that i have apply proper offset on the notch sketch. if i want to change the notch style i just change de member with FG tool with the custom notch family.

Sorry for my bad english

mmiller
Contributor

yannick3,

That is a great work around. If I find time I will try this, but I still think the offset within the standard notch command is a great idea that Autodesk should implement.

joop.van.wijlick
Advocate

the possiblitity that de notch offest is variably so you can calculated some spare room (distance) for laser cutting.

So assembly of the frames is easier while you have set spare space in the notch.

benedikt_zeilinger2
Enthusiast

Hi Joop,

I think when you design a part, the design should already include tolerances and geometry that allows them to be fitted together.

If you can't fit it your plates are to big. Calculating tool/laser diameter is a whole other story. 

Here are my solutions and thoughts.

1.) You can offset via the offset tool pretty easy.

2.) Calculating machine settings imho is part of cam software.

3.) Depending on your model the laser cutter should be able to account for the thickness of the tool

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report