Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fractional Weld Sizes

Fractional Weld Sizes

Inventor has the ability to link weld symbols to fillet welds modeled in the weldment assembly.  This could be a huge help to my company, dramatically reducing the number of mistakes in our weld callouts, or weld callouts missed entirely.  Unfortunately, in its current state, we can't use the feature.

This is because the system is based around displaying as decimals, while most fabricators prefer to see fractional weld sizes.  As a result, we are forced to manually enter our weld symbols on the drawing just like we would have done in AutoCAD.

Having one item (weld symbols) be so manual while so much other annotation is automatic tends to lead to errors.  Users just simply forget to go fix the weld symbols, because everything else is so automatic, and it doesn't feel like the weld symbol tool should be any different.  In my search for a solution to this problem, I saw requests going back to at least 2005 for this feature - I think it's time to close this gap.

I think the easiest way to handle this would be a unit format option in the Weld Symbol style.  That way, if needed, users could set up fractional and decimal styles just as they would with dimensions.  To avoid messing up the workflow of anyone using the symbols as they currently are, the default setting could still be Decimal. 

3 Comments
mikeh4
Collaborator

Agree 110%, we don't use the auto symbol in the IDW because of the decimal fomatting.

Totally related is if the weld symbol isn't created in the weld feature dialog box when the weld is created you can't go back and add the symbol.  We need the ability to do this.

mikeh4
Collaborator

The Weld Symbol creation in the Weldement should be associated to the weld bead feature.  Kind of silly to have to enter weld size on the feature and then in the same dialog box re-key it all it again.  Granted we still need an override of the symbol because we can't always model the size of the weld because the leg length can't be achieved by the geometry of the part due to a radius or curve of the part.  This override should be highlighted.

Ideally the symbol dialog would remain in the weld feature dialog just like when we create it.

karthur1
Mentor

ABSOLUTELY!!!!  We would also prefer to have the welds called out as fractional format.  But since not everyone will probably want it that way, the option needs to be there to format it however we want either fractional or decimal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report