Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting of retrieved dimensions in format text dialog

Formatting of retrieved dimensions in format text dialog

Currently you can't control the style of retrieved dimensions in the format text dialog.  Even if you edit them in the model or user parameters of the part or assembly.  The 1.625 should be able to be shown as 1 5/8 in the slot note text.

dimension text.jpg

9 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

How did you make the slot?

Was it a feature or sketched?

May have something that can help you..

How did you get the 9/16 to work?

If one does it the other should as well or I am missing something...

cwhetten
Advisor

The OP is talking about the inability to format parameters that are inserted into dimension text.  The 9/16 is extracted from the view geometry by the dimension tool, and its format is controlled by the dimension style.  But, if you want to insert additional parameters from the model (slots are a great example), you have no choice how it is formatted--you just get decimal.  And the only option you have is the precision (see the image below).

Dimension Parameter Formatting.png

So, you can't control if you want fractional, or what units it's displayed in (feet, inches, mm), and even for the decimal you can't control if you want leading or trailing zeros, or if you want the unit string to be displayed.  So, if you want automated annotations (instead of just dumb manually-typed), you end up with ugly mixed formatting.

This could be easily overcome without even adding any formatting options to the dimension text editor (although I vote that we should have this)--just enable the use of properties!

Dimension Properties Disabled.png

If properties were enabled, you could just export the parameter in the model, set the custom property format, and then it will insert into the dimension text already formatted correctly!

This idea is related to (although not a duplicate of) the following ideas:

Formatted Text

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

jletcher
Advisor

Cameron,

That is not what e said he is doing. He is retrieving the dimension and you are linking the dimension they are two different things. Not sure if you are trying to show him something new..

There is a way to do it just need to know how he his doing it retrieving and linking just not the same and he just wants to link it there is a way to format the text.

And is some what like what you are doing but using parameters you can make fractional.

SLOT1.JPG

SLOT2.JPG

just takes a few seconds to make it work.

Ktomberlin
Advocate

I see how you did the custom properties and used a leader with text to get the text, which is a solution but seems like a long way around to accompish what i was after when the dimension already exists as a Parameter formated the way i would like it to display.  All I'm asking is for Inventor to either display as stored in the parameter or give the ability to change it in the format text dialog.  Also this trick doesn't work if you want to add the parameter/custom property to a dimension.  Only a leader with text. 

jletcher
Advisor

I was just giving you something for now till they get what you ask to work.

Namoi1
Advocate

To me the best way to do this be to use the combo of dimension style in the text editor (since it is a dimension, just without the projection & dimension lines) that way you can be sure to keep things consistent

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

ian.bischof
Observer

@inv.ideareview I am constantly having issues with this! I was going to submit a ticket, but wanted to know if someone else had submitted one already. Can this be reopened? For example, Here I have a parameter for the quantity of slots, the spacing between, and the overall length. However, the formatting on the spacing should be fractional to stay consistant with the remainder of the drawing. I'm sure I could get additional support for this issue as well, as our development team has created tools that would benefit greatly from this kind of feature on many of our products.

ianbischof_0-1670430843933.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report