Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Import Linear Workflow

File Import Linear Workflow

Importing files can work well but only if you're really paying attention. I frequently see users who are not aware of the options for translation because they don't see them pop up in their face. I see the options as "side step" that must be remembered each time instead of the linear workflow that Inventor should provide.

IDEA: Remove the "Options..." button. Launch the "Import Options" immediately after clicking "Open".

Of course the user should have the option to "set defaults and never prompt me again". Defaults would need to be set for each filetype.

TranslateOptions.png

6 Comments
LT.Rusty
Advisor

I don't know about being "forced" into it ... but I wouldn't mind seeing the buttons be NEXT and FINISH, instead of OPTIONS and OPEN.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

Hi Rusty, Great FactoryDesign Suite classes at AU2013. (If you are who I think you are).

I know 'forced' is strong language. What I'm trying to solve is most users I've encounter are completely unaware of import options. This would show new and experienced users they have control over the translation. I know it's there but I forget to check options a lot.

Next and Finish would be better wording but it may not expose people to the controls that have always been there.

LT.Rusty
Advisor

Wasn't me, unfortunately - I didn't get to go to AU 2013 ... hopefully 2014, though. 

As far as the next / finish thing goes, what I had in mind would be more like how DWG / DXF import is handled.  (Actually, you could almost use the same dialog window, just change the names listed there.)  This would provide a certain uniformity as well ... do all the imports with the same set of dialogs and buttons to click.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

SOLVED in Inventor 2016, Thank you

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report