Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F2 Rename in Browser and objects

F2 Rename in Browser and objects

The common keyboard shortcut for renaming in Windows Explorer, Excel and most other Windows applications is the F2 key.  While I recognize that F2 is used for Pan (by some), it is not used in the context of the browser or edit boxes that contain strings.

Support for F2 rename CAN be implemented without having to remove the F2 / Pan definition.

I have been using Inventor for about 14 years and still find myself hitting F2 to rename nodes in the browser.

11 Comments
sam_m
Advisor

I touched on this in my request for more Excel-like tables:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Make-Tables-similar-to-Excel/idi-p/3748263

But, as you have said, a global F2=rename/text-edit would be great.

Guess it's all part and parcel of improving the entire interface to be more in keeping with Windows (and Office).

jletcher
Advisor

For some reason I have to question somethings so don't get all  mad at me for being the devils advocate.

If you have to move your mouse to the object you want to rename and click on it then hit F2.

Why do you want another thing to hit rather then just click mouse twice?

cbliss
Contributor

Because to click on it again, often results in nothing.  You have to perform a  slow, methodical double click, whereas if a node or object is highlighted, a simple F2 puts you into rename.  

Have you ever had problems double clicking in Windows Explorer? What if you are on someone else's computer and they have their mouse sensitivity or double click speed set different than what you are use to?

The big takeaway is many of us gotten sucked into the Windows / Office / Explorer standards and expect them to work in all applications.  As originally pointed out, it doesn't mean you have to Undefine the F2 for pan, only add context intelligence to nodes / names...

jletcher
Advisor

Never had an issue with it  always works for me no matter what CPU I was on or the setting must just be lucky. But that is why I ask to see what would come back and you gave good reason.

How are things going Charlie?

scottmoyse
Mentor

For some reason, I understood this to be a component rename workflow. I didn't realise until reading it again that it was just a Node rename. I'd like to see it actually rename the file in and assembly and redefine everything in place there & then. Completely different feature I know. The thing is intuitively thats what new users do, they see the part name in the assembly browser then rename it expecting it to do something. Which of course all it does is tie them in knots and confuse the living daylights out of everyone involved until its solved.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This a million times! I'm always hitting F2 in other applications, why shouldn't Inventor have the F2/rename functionality?
Heathos88
Enthusiast

Great idea, how's this idea going? and solutions yet?

I alway rename things in bulk and I'm a lousey clicker with a hand over the ESC key perminantly. Would love an F2 key for rename (or F1-F3), or in fact any key.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-54838]. Thanks!

Heathos88
Enthusiast

Wish this could be a patchable update for Inventor 2015. I see it's now available for only 2016 onwards?: (Stuck with 2015 at work...)

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/201...

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.  When a browser node has focus, the F2 key enters rename mode.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report