Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to specify offset from extrusion start/end faces

Ability to specify offset from extrusion start/end faces

Total parametric control, no need for a jungle of workplanes. Everyone wins.

Extrusion Offset Distance.png

(Another user has already requested the ability to select a face other than the sketch plane for the extrusion start face (Extrusion command with offset from face and distance). My request expands on that by asking for control of the offset from both the start and end faces, for each type of Extrusion operation.)

44 Comments
Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

When extruding to or to next to a surface or soild you cant enter a offset distance. I propose that you can either a negative or positive number. 5.JPG

BrotherkennyhDWR
Enthusiast

Under the extrude tool I can either Extrude to a "distance" or use the extrude "to" have the extrude project untill flush with a selected face. These options may work fine, but I often find myself wanting the end of the extrude to be a known distance from a particular face. I think it would be handy to be able to apply an offset distance to the extrude to feature so that the extrude finished a specified distance before or after a selected face. Presently I have to work out the resultant length of my extrude and input this. That may work perfectly well, but it would be simpler to use an offset distance in this case and would give clearer transparency of the design intent to anyone who may update the part at a later date. I have found the unequal extrude tool very useful since it was introduced, but I find it missing an option I am sure would be useful. Very often I find I am drawing a sketch profile that is below the surface of the part (for various reasons). I then want to extrude the profile to a known distance in one direction and to the extents of the part in the other direction. Hence becoming an unequal extrude with a distance and an extrude all.

ic198
Advocate

You can do the offset by creating an offset plane or surface from the face you're interested in, and then extruding to that- but that is two processes. Whatyou suggest would be much neater.

It would also be great to be able to put negative distances into the unequal extrude tool, so that both extents end up on the same side of the sketch. This can be done using the 'between' option, but again you ahve to create planes to do it- extra steps

dhaval3112
Advocate

In extrude future have to option offset.

example : If i draw profile on XZ plane & i want to extrude 50mm & offset from XZ plate 20mm.  

May be this option available in solid works.

DRoam
Mentor

This feature has already been requested. Please vote for the original idea so as not to split votes: Ability to specify offset from extrusion start/end faces. Thanks!

petestrycharske
Advisor

dhaval,

I do like the idea of having this capability and will vote as DRoam suggested.  However in the meantime, you can try this technique.  A little bit more work, but could still be parameter driven to position the workplanes.  Hope this helps and have a most blessed night!

http://www.mastergraphics.com/extrude-between-two-planes-without-having-a-sketch-in-between/

Peace,

Pete

dhaval3112
Advocate

Hello, petestrycharske

This is awesome idea. Thanks.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi all. Please take a look at a related request here that needs some support: Make 'Between Points' an Available Selection for an Extrusion.

This would be really useful in multibody modeling when you want to extrude between points or endpoints in a sketch, without having to create workplanes for each extrusion.

DRoam
Mentor

I didn't specify this in the original idea, but the offset control needs to be added for the start and end face (if applicable) for ALL Extrusion methods, including:

Distance: For a unidirectional Distance extrusion, allow an offset from the Sketch plane for the extrusion start, and then an option for the Distance to be either from the original or the offset starting plane. For a bidirectional Distance extrusion, offsets aren't necessary.

From: This was suggested in this idea. With "From", we would have the same options as Distance except we can select a plane other than the Sketch plane for the starting plane.

To Next: Allow an offset from the Sketch plane for the extrusion start, and an offset from the termination geometry*

To: Allow an offset from the Sketch plane for the extrusion start, and an offset from the selected termination geometry.

Between: Allow an offset from the selected starting geometry and the selected termination geometry.

All: For a unidirectional All extrusion, allow an offset from the Sketch plane for the extrusion start, and an offset from the termination geometry. For a bidirectional All extrusion, allow an individual offset from the termination geometry on each end.

This may seem a bit excessive, but adding these controls to the Extrusion command and the simplest and most stable way in the world to accomplish offset control. Accomplishing the same effect by creating additional work surfaces and work planes is a much more laborious and much less stable workflow.

*Side note: The "To Next" option really needs a bidirectional option. Say my profile is between two faces that I want to extrude between. Right now I have to use two "To Next" operations to accomplish this, when I could do it in just one with a bidirectional option. And of course, if this is added, an individual offset control for each end would be necessary.

Honestly, the most efficient method to create Extrusions would be to always select a Start plane (by default this would be the Sketch plane), and then to choose whether you want a unidirectional or bidirectional Extrusion. A unidirectional choice would give you the options of Distance, To Next, To, and Between, while a bidirectional choice would give you options of Distance, To Next, and All for each side. This way you could always create precisely the Extrusion you want in a single operation.

As it is now, if you want "Distance" in one direction and "To Next" or "All" in the other, you have to create it in two operations. But using the above workflow, combined with the Offsets control and this Idea, I might venture to say you could create any extrusion you can think of in a single operation. Anything more involved wouldn't be an Extrusion anymore but rather a Sweep or a Loft.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @BrotherkennyhDWR, there is a duplicate of your Idea which has received several votes (40 at the moment). Might I ask that you vote for that one as well to help get this suggestion recognized? You can find it here: Ability to specify offset from extrusion start/end faces.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @Ben-Cornelius, there is a duplicate of your Idea which has received several votes (40 at the moment). Might I ask that you vote for that one as well to help get this suggestion recognized? You can find it here: Ability to specify offset from extrusion start/end faces.

DRoam
Mentor

Other great Extrusion suggestions:

Other Ideas asking for the same functionality:

stenhofsteenge
Contributor

how nice would it be to use the ''extrude to'' function but then add a option to extract a number of it.

Tags (1)
stenhofsteenge
Contributor

how nice would it be to use the ''extrude to'' function but then add a option to extract a number of it.

Tags (2)
mnorman
Advocate

I like the new 'Extrude from Face' option, but is it possible to have an 'extrude to distance from face' option. 

Please see attached

Tags (1)
stenhofsteenge
Contributor

i previously posted the same idea!!! voted for yours!!

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @mnorman and @stenhofsteenge, this has actually been requested even earlier. Please consider voting for the original to help get this suggestion recognized. Thanks! Ability to specify offset from extrusion start/end faces.

pdhn8580
Enthusiast

You can essentially do this already. Click the drop down for hole depth, select show dimensions, click the extrusion and then click the dimension. Now turn it into an equation such as "d02 - 0.25in", now if you change the length of that extrusion that hole will always end 0.25in away from it. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's quite simple.

http://autode.sk/2xR8iiU

mnorman
Advocate
Yes you are right. But this is not adaptive.

Cheers anyway
mnorman
Advocate
Yes you are right. But this is not adaptive.

Cheers anyway

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report