Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to CAD format from IPN file

Export to CAD format from IPN file

I've modeled my nice fancy assembly. I've created a great looking exploded view of it in an IPN file. Now I want to use that exploded view in software other than Showcase or other Autodesk product. Heck maybe I want to use the IPN file in 3DSMax...yet I can't.

Please add the same export options you allow in an IAM file as you do in the IPN file. STEP, IGES, DWF, SAT, etc would be really nice to have!!

ipn export wishlist.jpg

10 Comments
freesbee
Collaborator

...how do you manage to use the exploded presentation in ShowCase??

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

Allow Presentation files in the inventor studio environment & export to Showcase and 3ds max

BrotherkennyhDWR
Enthusiast

I was just looking for a way to do this.

It would be a really useful feature.

MBeerman
Enthusiast

at my work we make drawings with a rotating 3d model. i have to create a presentation file but there is no way to export this to a step or any kind of 3d file. instead i have to go into a seperate program and create yet another exploded view, this add up when doing over 2000 drawings. so please inventor put the ablity to export a 3d file from presentation.

Tags (5)
PaulMunford
Autodesk
As a workaround, could you copy your assembly, delete the existing constraints and place new ones too get the same effect as an exploded view?
swalton
Mentor

Expanding on @PaulMunford's workaround idea:

I've used a Position Rep in an iam file instead of a ipn file for simple exploded views.  You can't export position reps directly, but if you place your exploded assembly in a container assembly, you can export there.

• Container.iam (export)
    • Design.iam with Position Rep "Explode" active

When you make your drawing, place views of Design.iam not some separate ipn file.

PaulMunford
Autodesk

@swalton 'Like'

kwilson_design
Collaborator

Creating an additional assembly just to delete constraints and assign new ones is not what I would consider a viable work around as it adds more time when all you're wanting it to save time to begin with. Same goes for doing positional design reps in my .iam file as it's too time consuming for something that is handled much faster and efficiently in presentation files. Since I'm going through all that trouble I might as well just import my assembly in 3DS Max and have full control of anything I want to do ...which is what i do now so its moot at this point. Doesn't seem like a logical work around in my application but YMMV depending on your type of work.

My original post on this topic is pretty old and since then I have changed my renderer engine, so I do all of my rendering and animation work inside of 3DS Max, meaning this issue isn't much of an 'issue' for me these days. I import my iam files into 3DS Max and away I go! Still though I'm sure being able to save a file for native STEP or IGES already created in the assembly presentation layout you want would be a nice QoL improvement for those not using Max or use other standalone renderer engines. 

BioEnerMart
Explorer
brentscannell
Alumni

Hey guys! I was linked here from the Inventor forums (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/importing-inventor-presentation-file-to-3ds-max/m-p/75...)

How much traction do you think this might get if was a 3ds Max import story more than an Inventor export story? Does anyone want to have a hand at championing this idea over on the 3ds Max Ideas forum? https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/idb-p/164

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report