Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture Bitmap thumbnail preview from BOM when exporting to excel

Capture Bitmap thumbnail preview from BOM when exporting to excel

Capture bitmap from bom.JPG

19 Comments
Dantevw1
Advocate

When exporting a Bill of Materials to any of the formats, you lose the Tumbnail.

For bigger projects its very usefull to have a tumbnail.

Please make it so that it will also export the tumbnails to Excel and/or Access (maybe a checkbox yes/no to speed up if you dont need tumbnails)

or make other export possibilities that do support tumbnails (Html / PDF / ... )

On internet i found requests for this back from 2010 and earlier...

Tags (5)
Bazash
Contributor

BOM TOOLS.JPG

Bazash
Contributor

YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS AFTER 15 DAYS THOUGH.

fabianrebora
Enthusiast

I need not only export a parts list with thumbnails.
I want to export a master plans found in a folder (including thumbnails) to facilitate the search of planes.

Sorry for the grammar'm using google traslate

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-136398]. Thanks!

Bazash
Contributor

https://sites.google.com/site/loweesoftware/

Here is the answer that my self and my programming buddy came up with.

will appear in the inventor appstore soon as it is undergoing approval as I type.

In the meantime contact sljk@gmail.com to get your copy

Any feedback appriciated 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello Dantevw1,

It would appear when you authored this idea, you mispelled "thumbnail" as "tumbnail" in your title (of which I have corrected).  As a result, I feel this Idea many not have been too discoverable/searchable.  Another identical Idea (that included an image) was posted about one year later and currently has 23 kudos.  As such, I have chosen to utilize that post as the Master Idea and close this one as a duplicate.  Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/capture-bitmap-thumbnail-preview-from-bom-when-ex...

as to not split votes.  Thanks! -Dan

barry.ashcroft
Contributor

bom1.JPG

https://sites.google.com/site/loweesoftware/

we have adressed this issue ourselves.

fill in the estimated costs property field.

exports to exel or word withadded labour costs

bom2.JPG

we've made it affordable to all to benefit just made it enough to get covered for our efforts

Developed by MetaCAD engineering Solutions LTD and lowee software

mikeh7
Collaborator

What I'd like to see is not only export Structured BOM, but a Summarized BOM.  So when I cut an order to Prototype I want a list how many of every part and weldt and assembly they have to build.  Not just the structured BOM.  We had a custom exporting tool written to do this and it works pretty well.  For the as built shops or 1 of shops I would think this would be a fantastic too also.  

It allows our guys to start builiding parts and exactly how many, and not need to know anything about the weldments and Assys. So while we're detailing Weldments and assemblies they can be building the exact quantity of parts need.  We manually don't need to sum up how many 1/2 nuts we need from different levels of the Assembly.  It easily saves us a day just in summing up quantities of parts for a fair sized machine.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've bumped into this lately. This problem still exists in Inventor 2017. If third party softwares can make it why Autodesk can't?

dgresham
Observer

Our company upgraded to inventor 2018. Still no aid in BOM exports with thumbnail. Can we please get this going?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the meantime, you can use BOM Tools Pro to make this happen. We will buy it eventually, because it seems Autodesk doesn't want to solve this.

barry.ashcroft
Contributor
Anonymous
Not applicable

That software is way outdated. We use Inventor 2018.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018.1. Thumbnail images now get exported (along with the other information in the Bill of Materials dialog box) when the Thumbnail column is included in the BOM. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

dgresham
Observer

Hi Dan,

When will the 2018.1 be available to download/update?

Marco.Takx
Mentor

@dgresham 2018.1 is already there. Take a look at your Autodesk Desktop App. 

dgresham
Observer

got it! this is great thank you eveyone

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was about time. Thanks, Autodesk!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report