Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminate LOD's

Eliminate LOD's

I would like to see the ability to just be able to suppress a component and have it be removed from memory without creating an LOD.  I think this would be easier when it comes to communicating between the model and the drawing.

6 Comments
JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

Besides level of detail representation, there is view representation.  Views can turn off 'visibility' and memorize that.  Unlike level of detail, you can use different view representations between linked idw views (such as parent, and detail, or section view).

jvj

Cadmanto
Mentor

Yes, I agree, but that is a lot of clicks.

I just want to be able to RC on a component or what ever and suppress it without having to worry about creating a LOD and possibly setting up a conflict between my model and drawing because they are on different LOD's and thus causing me not to be able to save.  Too complicated if you ask me.

LT.Rusty
Advisor

I'm not sure about simply eliminating the LOD's entirely, but I'd love to see a way to be able to suppress things in an assembly without automatically creating an LOD.

gavbath
Collaborator

Do not remove LODs altogether, whatever you do! They are a fantastic tool when used in conjunction with iLogic. The reason for this, is that when you suppress a component using iLogic, it's BOM Structure is marked as reference, which means it gets excluded from the BOM. This provides a very nice way of having a single assembly that can represent many final products with different part numbers etc, which is MUCH more powerful than an iAssembly. It can also be used as a "template" design to create variations.

Another thing that is quite useful is the fact that you get the option to calculate assembly weight based on LOD or on master rep which means suppressed components can be excluded from total assembly mass. This is not an option with view reps.

LODs may no longer be required for large assembly performance (since the introduction of express mode and multi-threaded graphics) but they do serve other purposes. Removing the functionality altogether would be a major regression.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2022. Please review the Inventor 2022 What's New article here, for more information regarding how you may leverage their power within multiple workflows. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea