9 Kudos

Drawing view orientation relative to user work plane

by Distinguished Contributor djreesing on ‎07-04-2013 12:42 AM

This is about the following situtation:

I have some models which are based on skeleton modeling and where the actual parts are modeled at the position where they are in the assembly. When the skeleton part is changed the parts will update and their orientation related to the origin planes can change. This is where the problem lies, on the drawings of these parts the views are all skewed after an update.

I would like to have a possibility to tell Inventor that a view on a a drawing should stay aligned to a specific work plane. I know views can be rotated and set so that a specific edge will be horizontal or vertical. However any projected views will still be skewed after the part is updated and the orientation changes.

Related post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Keep-drawing-view-aligned-to-workplane/m-p/3559028

Comments
by Valued Contributor KentKeller on ‎07-04-2013 08:41 AM

I suspect anyone that does skeletal modeling has run into this numerous times. This would be very high on my wish list.

by Active Contributor ic198 on ‎07-04-2013 01:27 PM

There should already be a method to do this.  Use Look At, select your work plane and then right click on the view cube and Set Current View as Top. Then create your drawing base view using Top orientation.

However, this doesn't work. In IV 2013 the drawing view will be of the 'world' top view and will ignore whatever you've reset the part top view to. In IV 2014 the drawing view will be of the user-set top view- but if the workplane changes, it will not update, even if the definition of Top view is changed in the part.

This idea shouldn't be that hard and would be very useful. Even if there was a way of manually resetting what the drawing Base view was looking at that would be better than the current situation.

by Valued Contributor 3DSetout on ‎12-13-2013 12:11 AM

Hi ic198.

How did u go with,

updating or linking in the Drawing View,

the Profile on a Rotating (Parametric) workplane.

Thanks MatB

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube