Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing view orientation relative to user work plane

Drawing view orientation relative to user work plane

This is about the following situtation:

I have some models which are based on skeleton modeling and where the actual parts are modeled at the position where they are in the assembly. When the skeleton part is changed the parts will update and their orientation related to the origin planes can change. This is where the problem lies, on the drawings of these parts the views are all skewed after an update.

I would like to have a possibility to tell Inventor that a view on a a drawing should stay aligned to a specific work plane. I know views can be rotated and set so that a specific edge will be horizontal or vertical. However any projected views will still be skewed after the part is updated and the orientation changes.

Related post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Keep-drawing-view-aligned-to-workplane/m-p/3559028

5 Comments
KentKeller
Advocate

I suspect anyone that does skeletal modeling has run into this numerous times. This would be very high on my wish list.

ic198
Advocate

There should already be a method to do this.  Use Look At, select your work plane and then right click on the view cube and Set Current View as Top. Then create your drawing base view using Top orientation.

However, this doesn't work. In IV 2013 the drawing view will be of the 'world' top view and will ignore whatever you've reset the part top view to. In IV 2014 the drawing view will be of the user-set top view- but if the workplane changes, it will not update, even if the definition of Top view is changed in the part.

This idea shouldn't be that hard and would be very useful. Even if there was a way of manually resetting what the drawing Base view was looking at that would be better than the current situation.

3DSetout
Advocate

Hi ic198.

How did u go with,

updating or linking in the Drawing View,

the Profile on a Rotating (Parametric) workplane.

Thanks MatB

RodrigoEiras
Advocate

I have a similar problem when you have to views that do not match size and you want them to be aligned. That happens in my case in some details.

As a previous user of SolidWorks you had the option to Align by Origin, so a real model reference was used for the alignment and not only the view size.

I attach an example of wrong alignment as Inventor uses the center of the view instead of the center of the model (UCS)

badAlignment.JPG

jeffsteiger6735
Advocate

@RodrigoEiras  our crafty cadadmin here created some ilogic that does it. Works quite well so should be something the Inventor team can handle. I never understood the logic behind centering on the view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report